Crossing Lines

There is suffering in the light; in excess it burns. Flame is hostile to the wing. To burn and yet to fly, this is the miracle of genius.- Victor Hugo

The sparse room with its simple table and only a few seats was everything but fitting for this festive occasion. Of the three persons standing around a table, two were outstandingly dressed in fine clothes.

Harry, as well as Hermione, was overly nervous. He felt how her hand shook slightly, squeezed it encouragingly thereupon she smiled shyly at him.

Only a few months before, they had witnessed the first magical wedding in their life, just to give now the very same promise to each other. To Harry, this memory felt like something out of a completely different world.
At the opposite side of the table, stood William Brennan, who despite, being unaware that they were even really there, hold his speech. With a strong firewhiskey smell in his breath but still, with a kind of grandeur in his voice, nobody would have expected of him.

"Do you, Harry James Potter, take this woman, Hermione Jane Granger -"
Surprised over the middle name, Harry repeated it silently under his breath and looked to her while she just shrugged.

"to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, in good times and woe, for richer or poorer keeping yourself unto her for as long as you both shall live? If so, answer 'I do'. "unfazed the old wizard continued.

"I do. "Harry answered, despite how he felt inside, calmly while he still had his eyes locked with Hermione's.

"Do you, Hermione Jane Granger, take this man, Harry James Potter, to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, in good times and woe, for richer or poorer keeping yourself unto him for as long as you both shall live? If so answer ‚I do '. "

She needed a few seconds to answer, but when she did, it was in a soft emotional voice. "I do. "

To his relief, it was in the familiar sound of her voice. He couldn't ignore how her eyes shone brightly, and for the first time in weeks, she had a truly genuine smile on her lips.

"Now, give me each your left hand, please. "Mr. Brennan requested.

He put Harry's Hand on top of Hermione's then he took his wand and spoke. "Coniuncti in aeternum. "

The hands were soon surrounded by a bright yellow, golden light. Slowly it vanished again, and they could see how they now wore a golden ring around their ring fingers. Remarkably they were actually married now.

"By the authority vested in my by the Ministry of Magic, I now pronounce you Husband and Wife. You may now kiss the bride! "Mr. Brennan continued slightly amused at the surprised reaction of the bridal couple.

Neither Hermione nor Harry had thought about the physical part of the traditional magical wedding, yet it all had taken its dynamic. Like they were playing just a role, one where they could forget the terror and their fears. At first sceptical then nearly natural Harry leant in and kissed Hermione on her soft, warm lips. It didn't feel wrong nor foreign to him, contrary it was inviting even.

"Congratulations, Mr and Mrs Potter." Mr Brennan's loud voice broke the fleeting, way to short moment.

"I'm really sorry, Mr Brennan, but it has to be done. Obliviate."

The effect of Hermione's spell was directly visible. William Brennan fell into silence and didn't react to Harry's nor Hermione's presence in the room. Harry used the chance and apparated them to a near forest.

Many, too many thoughts were racing through Harry's mind. The golden ring on his finger kept reminding him that they really were married as surreal as it felt. Hermione appeared to concentrate her activities on putting up protective wards for their night camp. By their entire bustle, Harry could hardly avoid watching Hermione.

Somehow it suddenly felt like she was a different person to him, something she really was. She was now Hermione Potter, and Harry couldn't help himself but to feel some kind of pride, happiness as funny as it sounded.

After everything was ready, Hermione went into the tent without a word. This allowed him to overthink how to continue. Of course, they couldn't have a feast like a typical wedding asked for yet he didn't want to end this day like any other ordinary day either.

When he entered the tent as well, the music playing was the first thing he noticed. Finally, he saw Hermione, through the low shine of a lamp, how she was sitting in an old armchair, listening to the radio. At first, she hadn't noticed his entry then probably felt how his eyes were transfixed on her. Slowly, shy even, he hadn't known her to be like that, she looked up, and their eyes meet on this evening again. At least he reached Hermione and hold his left hand out for her to take. Questioning she kept looking at it, still laid her hand into his.

Harry Potter might be a hero for the magical world, one of the best seekers who ever played at Hogwarts, but he was also a terrible dancer. Here and now he just didn't care though. For him, only one thing counted; that he was dancing with his wife; however, clumsy it looked, it made him happy. Even if he tried, he couldn't remember when he had felt like that the last time. The world didn't feel so gloomy, so hopelessly anymore to him. Harry didn't even waste any thoughts about what they might have to face the next days. Waves of deepest gratitude overcame him, and he just didn't know an outlet.

"My wife. "He whispered under his breath, yet they locked eyes, and they stilled their movements.

Slowly, like in a trance, Hermione reached out and touched his cheek fleetingly. Harry savoured the feeling of her soft hand against his skin and closed his eyes briefly. Too soon she stopped yet he was already entranced by her. When Harry opened his eyes again, he shortened the distance between them and kissed her on the lips for the second time on this day. It was another peck, yet it did last longer when they parted he couldn't miss how slightly her parted lips trembled. Neither Harry nor Hermione could take their eyes from each other. Both closed the little gap between their lips. This kiss turned into a deeper, much more passionately one. His arms came around her waist, pulling her flush against him while she put hers around his neck. Like the bursting of a dam, their vulnerable emotions broke free and took away all restrictions.

In a few hours, they would wake up together in one bed and decide finally to visit Godric Hollow. Slowly they'd return into their haunting reality and find to their own surprise that despite everything they survived. Perhaps these hours of deepest despair, hopelessness and finding this little sanctuary in each other made this wondrous turn of events even possible.