Feeling Home

Nico

Nico felt his heart beating a million miles a minute. He silently wondered whether he would go into a cardiac arrest. Would his mate rush across the room to catch him before he fell? Nico's imagination ran wild. He was feeling...too much. It seemed like all his senses had been dull up until now and were now truly focused on one entity- on one person in the world who deserved it the most.

Nico smelt his mate, and what a scent he had! It was uniquely earthy and a mixture of all the things Nico loved trapped in one being! His mate was truly handsome- more than an eye candy. He was Nico's cupcake..or better yet- marshmallows!!! He was a foot and half taller than Nico and had broad shoulders and long limbs. Nico could see his mate was strong, not buff but definitely lean and sinewed. He had a strong jaw and a sharp chin. His eyes were large, framed with thick black lashes and he had deep brown- chocolate eyes. He wore his long hair in dreadlocks, decorated with colorful beads that shaped around his head like a crown. While Nico was feeling everything all at once, his mate wore no expression- he was completely in control. Very...neutral. So neutral that Nico assumed there was a need to worry.

Whether Alpha and the others in the room had noticed what had transpired between them was beyond Nico. Alpha was politely making introductions. "Emma, Nico, may I introduce Nox Suwarii- Alpha Suwarii's son and Nina's older brother." He gestured to Nico's mate. "Nox, allow me to introduce to you my pack members- and people after my heart, Emma and Nico Tailor. Nina has been staying with them since she got here."

"It's a pleasure to meet you." His voice rang strong and confident-not at all how Nico was feeling. He bowed slightly, looking first at Emma and then at Nico. His gaze held there for a moment longer and then it was quickly shifted to Emma again. "I thank you for your hospitality toward my sister and for your friendship toward her." He spoke calmly, in a well practiced voice. The very power oozing from the man had Nico's knees weak and he worried about melting into the carpeted floor. His eyes could no longer rest on the man he was so attracted to and he found himself mentally tracing patterns of the carpet where his gaze had automatically shifted to.

Emma thankfully had said something intelligent and they all had moved to the living area and settled there while Nina packed her bags. Nico was grateful to his sister and appreciated how well she was handling his guests. Alpha had started to talk to Nox about how Nina was attacked and what more they could do to stop rogues from hurting passengers who entered the no-mans land. Nox expertly discussed details about border patrol and suggested increasing security around the docks.

Emma had gone to help Nina pack and while she was away, there was a knock at the door. Nico picked his left-over brain from the floor and sauntered to answer the door. He felt eyes on his back, he felt his every move being noticed and this remarkably elevated his previously non-existent clumsiness. He tripped over the mat and ended up bumping into the door rather than opening it. Thankfully he had resisted falling flat on his face and retained some degree of respect. He opened the door to see Alakay standing there with three huge bags behind him. The fresh crisp air from outside cleared Nico's mind and he realized that his friend was moving too- away with his chosen mate. This saddened Nico. There will be one less musketeer of the five- yes, five.

Inside, Alpha introduced Alakay to Nox, and Nina came to greet her mate. This was the first time Nico saw the two together. He observed the two closely and noticed how they moved with one another; their very thoughts seemed to be in sync and their bodies moved like magnets, complimenting one another. Alakay kissed Nina softly on the forehead and they both blushed and looked away quickly.

How long had it been since they marked each other? Seven hours, or eight perhaps? Why wasn't Nox responding to Nico the same way? They hadn't even looked at each other properly! Was this a form of rejection? Nico's heart began to sink. Didn't his mate approve of him? Was he not attractive enough for him? Was it because he was an Omega? Was it because he was male? Was it because he was dressed in sweats and a cookie monster shirt? Nico felt his ears burn. Ofcourse! Here his mate was dressed like a Victorian age gentleman and Nico had been- was still- in his pyjamas.