Chapter 8 Pt 3 - Much Ado About Traffic

(Pre)Author's note:

Hey there, reader.  Remember wayyyy back to the beginning of this novel when Martha complained about adults hiding medicine in children's pudding?  Well....  you've happened upon a big ol' chunk of medicine.  Sorry for the bitter taste.  It'll be over before you know it!

Martha closed her door. "No."

James closed his. "Yes."

"Of this country?"

"Of the United States of America."

It was a lot to take in. She had anticipated some kind of trick or twist and introducing her to a President before he was President was impressive – even for James. But what struck her the most was the revelation that a country with such shameful and pervasive bigotry would allow an African American to lead it. "When?"

James pulled off the curb. "2008."

"How?"

"You met the man."

"Sure, sure, I know. He's awesome. But how does he get elected with all the..."

"Racism?" He turned on to the highway. "The prior Republican administration's term ends badly and the Democrats have latitude. The racists do their best, but he's the right man at the right time."

"Cool. How's he do?"

"Pretty well. Better than Bill. Not as well as HRC."

"Who's HRC?"

"Hillary."

"Clinton? Hillary Clinton is President?"

"Yep, 2016. Except for this one time." James took his foot off the gas as the traffic ahead began to clot. "What a nightmare. I don't know what I did that time..." His voice trailed off.

"Huh?"

"Never mind. Anyway, we have a pretty good run."

"'We?' As in... wait, were you ever..."

"Mm-hmm. Twice – eight years a piece." Traffic limped forward as two cars swerved in front of James. "And it's we as in we. You're at my side both times."

"No way!" A cartoonish fantasy of James and Martha standing and waving in front of the White House flashed in her mind. She had spent plenty of time daydreaming about James' glorious careers and adventures: groundbreaking inventor, international spy, the Pope... The President of the United States had come up as well. But Martha's inclusion in the venture had escaped her. "That's, like... insane."

"Yeah, it was something. No need to worry. I don't intend on making it there this time around. There were parts of it you loved and others you hated. The press couldn't get enough of the amazing coincidence of your name. 'Martha,' just like..."