Part 8

The following night, Jimin visits the store again during my shift. He doesn't look like his usual cheerful self though. His lips curve downwards & his brows furrow into a deep frown.
"Hayoon ah.." He calls me as he collapses heavily on one of the chairs & lays his head on the table.
"What's wrong?" I sit down next to him & ask in concern.
"I wonder why I'm doing all this. It's so tiring. I don't think I can take it anymore." He says without lifting his head.
"Everyone has bad days. You've worked so hard to get to this point, think about all those days you wished you were here. Now that you're here, you should cherish it." I try my best to comfort him although I don't know what I'm saying.
"Why are you so kind?" He looks up at me & a hint of smile appears on his lips, but it disappears again.
"But I still don't feel good." He whines.
I can't stand seeing him being sad like that, so I desperately think of a way to make him laugh. Then, an idea comes to me.
"Hey, you want to see something cool? Wait a minute." I abruptly stand up to find the things I'm looking for.
"Apples? What are you gonna do with them?" He stares in confusion at the three apples in my hands.
"Just watch." I throw the apples in the air & start to juggle them.
"Woah, daebak! You're so good at this!" His eyes light up in amusement.
I do a few more difficult variations & catch the three apples perfectly at the end.
"Woahhh, where did you learn how to do that?" He asks as he claps his hands enthusiastically.
"I worked part-time at a toy store once & they asked me to hand out flyers on the street. I learnt juggling to attract people's attention so that I could distribute the flyers faster. Do you feel better now?"
"Yeah, thanks to you." He flashes me his eye smile & wraps his fingers around mine.
My heart feels like it's about to explode & my cheeks burn. I try to pull my hand away, but he won't let me, so our hands stay intetwined like that for a few moments.
"Anw, I need to get back now. Thank you so much for cheering me up, I owe you one." He says as he ruffles my hair.
"I-It was nothing." I shyly mutter.
"Ok then, good night Hayoon! See you again soon!" He waves at me & walks out the door.
My God, what happened just now? I think to myself while clutching my chest.
The doorbell suddenly rings again, causing me to instantly turn around.
"Did you forget some-" I thought it was Jimin, but it's not him. It's Jungkook.
"Forget what?" Jungkook raises his brow.
"Oh. You. Nothing. I thought you were someone else."
"Did Jimin hyung come here just now? I think I saw him outside."
I freeze at his question. Should I tell him the truth?
"Huh? Oh yeah. He came to get a drink." I choose to lie.
"Oh really? Did he say anything?"
"No. Why would he say anything to a stranger like me?"
"You're right. Anw, can you make me the usual, nuna? I'm starving." He pouts as he rubs his flat belly.
"Ya, you can't eat ramyeon every night. It's not healthy."
"Oohhh, do you start caring about my health now? I'm touched." He exaggeratedly put his palm over his heart.
"I-I was just stating a fact. Don't flatter yourself too much."
"Nuna." He suddenly grabs my arm.
"What?" I try to answer as nonchalantly as possible.
"Thank you. For caring about me." He smiles at me & it literally melts my heart. How can he be so nice? Handsome & popular guys like him are usually mean & condescending, but not him. My mind wanders to my old self, how I was so way over my head, thinking that I was better than everyone else & trampling over Jimin's heart like it didn't worth a thing. My guilt is awakened again & I'm so ashamed of myself.
"Nuna? Nuna? You ok?"
"Huh? Yeah, I'm fine. I'll go make you the ramyeon." I force out a smile & rush to the back.
I have to properly apologize to Jimin or the guilt will surely haunt me forever.

2 days later

"Oh. My. God!!!" I squeal into my pillow.
Park Jimin is asking me outtt!! Well, technically, he invited me to a party with a bunch of other people, but whatever. Maybe this is my chance to come clean & properly apologize to him.
I run to my wardrobe & pull out anything that will fit me, but all of them look so frumpy & old.
This is an emergency. I need to shop for a new outfit. I can't come to his fancy party looking like a granny.
Luckily, today is my day off, so I quickly grab my purse & dash out of my room. Just when I'm tying up my shoelaces, a call from an unknown number comes in.
"Hello?" I say as I wedge the phone in between my cheek & shoulder.
"Nuna?" The person from the other end hesitantly asks.
"Jungkook?"
"I thought you gave me a fake number, but I guess it's really you." He chuckles in relief.
"Why would I give you a fake number? Anw, what's up?"
"Uhm.. Our schedule for comeback has been released, so.. uhm.. there's a movie that I really want to watch, do you want to go watch it with me? Coz I don't think I'll be able to see you as often these coming months." I can imagine that he must be scratching his neck awkwardly now & I can't help but let out a short giggle.
"Sure, if you're not scared of getting found out. But you can always say that I'm your distant cousin or something. No one would think that we're romantically involved due to my looks. When do you want to go?"
"Mm.. how about this weekend? You don't work on weekends right?"
"Oh. I'm sorry, but I have something this weekend."
Shit, why does it have to be the same time as Jimin's party?
"Oh." I can detect the disappointment in his voice & that makes me feel really bad.
"Hey, what about Monday? We can go on Monday night. My shift will be over at 10pm so we'll still have time to catch the midnight show." I offer.
"Really? Yes, sure, that'll work. I'll come by the store at 10pm then we can go together." The smile in his voice is back again.
"Alright. I really need to go now, so I'll talk to you later ok?"
"Sure, goodbye nuna! Have a nice day. I'll wait for you to end the call."
"Aww, why are you so sweet? Thank you uri dongsaeng, you have a nice day too. Bye!" A wide grin spreads over my face as I hang up the call.
Now I need to find a pretty outfit for Jimin's party quickly.

Finally, the weekend has come. I look in the mirror at my own reflection, satisfied about the styling I did with my brand new white shirt & chino pants.
This actually doesn't look half bad.
I put on the red lipstick I bought yesterday & smack my lips together.
Should I bring the lipstick with me? In case Jimin.. Arghhh what am I thinking?
I blush at my own dirty thoughts, but I still put the lipstick in my bag & head out of the house.
Soon, I arrive at the address Jimin sent me.
"Woah, daebak!" I gasp at the elegant mansion. A few sports cars are parked right outside its gate.
I suddenly feel self-conscious about my appearance.
Should I have dressed in something more formal? No Hayoon, you should be confident about yourself like Jungkook said. Hwaiting!
Exhaling deeply, I muster all my courage & press on the intercom.
"Annyeong haseyo, it's me Hayoon." I hesitantly talk to the intercom.
"Oh Hayoon ah, you're here. Let me buzz you in. Just go straight, up the stairs & open the big wooden door. We're in the living room." Jimin's voice booms through the speaker.
Right after, the heavy gate click open & I push it to get inside. I follow Jimin's direction & walk into the house.
"Woah.." The inside of the house is even more impressive than the outside. I can't help but gape at the luxurious interior.
"Hayoon ah! Thank you for coming!" Jimin excitedly approach me & pull me into a warm hug, taking me by surprise.
"T-Thank you for inviting me." I thank God for the foundation I put on, otherwise my face would have already turned bright red like a tomato.
"Come on, let's meet my friends." He smiles at me & pulls me deeper into the house.
"Guys, this is the special guest I told you about." He says to the crowd, some I recognize from TV, some I don't. I instantly freeze when I see the person sitting right in the middle of the couch. Yeonhee's eyes bore right into mind & her lips curve into an evil smirk.
"Oh, look who's here. The farting girl." Yeonhee snickers & the crowd laughs
"J-Jimin ah, I-I think I should just leave." Cold sweats begin to form on my forehead, I really don't have a good feeling about this.
"Aww, you can't leave. Don't mind Yeonhee, she's just joking, right Yeonhee?" He turns to Yeonhee & she mouths a silent 'sorry' to me.
"You look so pretty today. The only thing you need is a bit more makeup. Come on, let me help you." He suddenly pulls me into a nearby room & sit me down on the bed.
"J-Jimin ah, w-what-"
"Shhh.. just trust me. Do you have a lipstick on you by any chance?" He's sitting dangerously close to me, I can feel his breath tickling my skin.
"Y-Yes I do." I quickly fish the red lipstick out of my bag.
"Yeay! Now, close your eyes."
"Huh? C-Close my eyes?" I ask in confusion.
"Yeah, I want it to be a surprise." He gently strokes my cheek & whispers into my ear.
I obediently shut my eyes & let him touch my face. After a short while, he backs away & I open my eyes.
"Perfect." He smiles at me.
"Really?" I turn around to look at myself in the mirror & inhale sharply in shock.