Part 11

"Hayoon ssi, can you please touch up the dancers' make up?"
"Nee!" I pull my mask higher & rush towards the crowd who has just finished filming.
Thank God I brought a mask in my bag, so I can hide in plain sight. Also, since I'm only an assistant, I don't get to work on the boys, which is a huge relief for me.
"Boys, now it's your turn!" The director shouted.
I inadvertently turn my head & see the seven beautiful men, all dressed in black attires, take their places in the middle of the set. Jimin is standing right in the center.
The music plays & they start moving. It's the most mesmerizing dance routine that I have ever seen. They're all very good, but Jimin, he's something else. His gaze penetrates deep into your soul. His body moves with such grace that his dance is fierce yet gentle at the same time.
"Hayoon ssi? You need to work faster, they're up next right after this." The staff impatiently says to me.
"Oh, yes. Sorry, I was- I'll work faster." I bow at her apologetically & continue working on the dancers.
The boys' shooting is done almost at the same time as I finish touching up the dancers. Trying to avoid them, I quickly dash out of the set to the empty corridor.
"Huh.. I can't wait for this to end." I lean on the wall & slide my mask down to my chin.
The sound of door opening makes me frantically pull my mask back up.
Shit, it's Jungkook.
I try to look for an escape but there's none & he's coming right at me. Panicked, I lower my head, cover my face with my hair & brace myself to walk towards his direction. He nods his head slightly & I reciprocate without saying anything.
Pheww, I don't think he recognizes me.
However, just when I think that I can easily get away, the Goddess of Fortune decides to play a trick on me. I trip on my untangled shoelaces & bump onto Jungkook's shoulder.
"Are you ok?" He holds my arm loosely to help me steady myself.
"Y-Yes. S-Sorry." I hastily bow at him & run towards the entrance to the set.
Shit shit shit! Why are you so clumsy?
I curse inward & hit myself on the head repeatedly.
"Excuse me, you're blocking the door."
Out of reflex, I look up & it's Jimin.
Fuck!
"S-Sorry." I step away immediately & he only clicks his tongue in annoyance.
Ok, he obviously doesn't recognize me at all.
"Hayoon ah." A tap on my shoulder makes me jump in surprise.
"Yes!"
"Why are you so jumpy? How are you doing? Sorry, I don't have time to really guide you through this as I promised, but I think you're doing a great job on your own." Youngji eonni chuckles & gives me a thumb up.
"I learned a lot of things today. Working on set is truly fascinating. Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity." I lower my mask & smile at her.
"That's great. I'm glad I brought you with me. Anw, can you help me wash these brushes? The restroom is on the right hand side of the corridor." She says as she hands me a few dirty brushes.
"Sure. I'll be right back." I take the brushes from her & go to the restroom.
"Wearing a mask all day is surely uncomfortable." I take off my mask in the restroom & begin washing the brushes.
"There. Now they're all squeaky clean." I huff in satisfaction & walk out of the restroom.
"Song Hyekyo?"
That voice makes me stop in my track. Jungkook.
I quickly turn away from him & lower my face.
"It's really you, isn't it?" He asks as he walks closer.
Shit! What do I do now?
My feet are glued to the ground, despite my strong desire to run away & disappear.
"Ya, Jungkook ah! What are you doing there? It's our turn now!" Jin shouts from the set entrance.
This is my chance.
I run as fast as I can to the door, bowing at Jin on the way, and enter the set.
"Hayoon ah." Someone taps my shoulder.
"Yes!" I yelp.
"You really are jumpy today." Youngji eonni chuckles in amusement.
"Sorry. Haha! I was just- Anw, I've washed the brushes for you. Eonni, I think the back dancers have all finished filming, right? I don't want to sound rude or ungrateful, but is it ok if I leave now? I have uh.. an important thing that I need to do tonight." I hesitantly ask.
"Ooh, is it a date?" She raises one brow playfully.
"Well.. uhm.. yeah, sort of, haha."
Yeah, a date with my blanket & pillow. I need to get out of here before Jungkook finds me again.
"I think you're done for the day, so yeah sure you may go home first. Thanks for your hard work today Hayoon ah." She gently squeezes my shoulders & smiles.
"Thank you very much eonni. I'll get going now." I bow at her & turn on my heels.
"Good luck & see you tomorrow!" She cheerfully exclaims.
"Tomorrow?" My steps come to a halt & I turn back around in confusion.
"Yeah, haven't I told you that the shoot will last three days?"
Oh fuck.

The following day, I come prepared.
I wear a black baseball cap low over my head, all black clothing, & a black mask that covers most of my face.
He won't recognize me again, will he?
"Eonni, annyeong haseyo." I greet Youngji eonni as soon as I arrive at the set.
"Hayoon? Why are you all covered up like this? Are you sick or something?" She asks in concern.
"Well.. uhm.. I don't feel that good & I don't want other people to get my bugs. Don't worry, I can still work." It was a lie. I'm as healthy as a cow, but I can't think of a more plausible excuse.
"Alright then. I believe today's shoot will end faster than yesterday, because we're only taking individual shots of three members with the background dancers. So hang in there, ok?"
"Really? Who's shooting today?" I cross my fingers, praying that Jungkook is not one of them.
"Taehyung, Jin & Jimin."

I feel a little bit more at ease now that I know Jungkook won't be at the set today. As for Jimin, I'm pretty sure he doesn't & won't know who I am, judging by his reaction the last time I bumped into him.
All I need to do is keep away from him & wear my mask at all times.
The day goes by pretty quickly & finally it's Jimin's turn to shoot his individual scenes.
I watch him, who's sitting in front of the mirror playing with his phone, from far away. He's apparently waiting for Youngji eonni to touch up his make up.
"Hayoon ssi, do you know where Youngji ssi is? I can't find her & we need to shoot Jimin's scene now." The staff asks in panic as she rotates her head left & right looking for Youngji eonni.
"I'm not sure. She didn't tell me anything. Wasn't she here a while ago? Have you tried calling her cell?"
"I have, but she's not picking up. Tsk.. we don't have time, he needs to go now. Why don't you do the touch up then?" The staff says to me.
"M-Me?" Horrified, I instantly recoil.
"Yeah, you can do it right? Come on, let's go." She pulls me towards Jimin without waiting for my reply.
My heart beats at a million miles an hour. I frantically lower my cap & adjust my mask to cover up my face.
"Jimin ah, the assistant will help you touch up coz I can't find the make up artist. That's ok right?" The staff asks Jimin as soon as we get to his side.
"Yeah sure. Whatever." He replies disinterestedly.
"Alright, you may start now. I'll be back soon." She steps away, leaving me alone with Jimin.
I stand there in silence, not knowing what to do. My fear seems to have taken over my whole body.
"Aren't you going to start?" Jimin suddenly asks without looking up from his phone.
"O-Oh. Y-Yes. P-Please lift your chin & close your eyes." I instruct & he obliges.
You can do this Hayoon ah. He won't find out.
I begin working on him, trying as hard as I can to control my trembling hands.
"You don't need to be so nervous. I won't eat you." He says flatly with his eyes closed.
"S-Sorry." I stutter.
Just forget that he's Park Jimin.
I exhale deeply & concentrate on doing his makeup. His skin is so milky smooth & he has such beautiful features that my heart races uncontrollably as I observe him up close.
Puberty definitely did him right.
"Ok. You're done." Finally, after what felt like forever, I did it.
He slowly opens his eyes & stares at his own reflection in the mirror.
"You did great. Thanks." He looks at me through the mirror & smiles faintly.
"Y-You're welcome. I-I'll get going first." I quickly bow at him & walk away.
"Wait. You forgot your tools." He calls out.
"Oh yeah, haha. How stupid of me." I turn back around & hastily gather my stuffs.
"Hayoon ah! Sorry, I was in the restroom & I didn't bring my phone with me. Are you done working on Jimin ssi?" Youngji eonni suddenly barges in through the door.
Shit.
"Hayoon?" I can feel Jimin's gaze boring right through my back.