Chapter Four: Waffles

*Takes a deep breath*

This is a meme worthy picture tbh.  ~ 💮 Masky

~It

The kid cried for twenty minutes before a little, black, mouse toy that had got their attention. It watched with a strong interest as (Y/n) actually talked to it.

"Wot, Licorice?" he mumbled out, sniffling, trying to hide away from the little toy. It squeaked and squeaked, going in circles on the floor.

It could sense the little toy had conscious thoughts and acted of it's own will, or at least on behalf of another.

That was interesting. Very interesting.

It watched while the boy slowly calmed down. His fear sadly dissipated just as quickly as it came, so there would be no more trying to leave him marinate in flavor. There was one last fear to test, but It was interested and confused by how easily this boy let  go of his fear.

It liked the predictable nature of humans, this wasn't what it was used to.

Still It watched, soon to move on to hunting someone else. Until It sensed the boy's father returning to the shop.  It wanted to watch longer now.

~ The Reader
(

So here's your initial and last warning that there are sensitive topics going on in this Fiction. ~ 💮 Masky)

You sniffled, rubbing your runny nose into your sleeve, unaware how near your father was. You hadn't thought that leaving the park, even to return home, would anger him. You were just too upset, having something brought up you didn't like to hear, and it was no lie that, that's how you felt.

Should've been a girl.
But you tried thinking that there were probably girls out there who wished they were a boy.

You couldn't explain to yourself why, but you held that thought to keep yourself together.

The knock on your door almost made you jump out of your skin.

"Baby Doll." You shied away from the door hearing your father. He didn't sound mad, he sounded like he was gently trying to approach you.

"Y-Yeah...?" your voice squeaked like Licorice. It was small and you hated the feeling of being small.

"What happened?" He asked and opened the door. It was locked. He didn't use his key and it gave way as if it wasn't locked. But you didn't care about that, you were just trying not to cry.

You shook your head dismissively. You wanted to be alone.

Your father frowned and sat down next to you. "Did some one make fun of you again?" he asked, but you didn't answer. You didn't want to.

He frowned and pulled you into his lap and into a hug. He listened to you cry and let you use him as a pillow. He lightly shushed you once you began to calm down, and gently rubbed your back.

"You're alright... Now what happened?" He asked again, his fingers combing through your hair.

You sniffled again and slowly recalled what happened. You left out the one thing that actually upset you, but told him all the rest. A normal person would think you were going mad. Hell everyone would in this town.

But not your father.

He believed you well enough. He was just outside the influence of the great evil that lived here. You weren't quite there, perhaps when you were older you'd have a similar immunity, but you were young and venerable.

It knew that.

And so... After forcing yourself to relive what happened your father made you something sweet to eat, spending the day with you upstairs, letting you stick to his side when the bell rang to declare a customers' arrival.

It was as peaceful as it would get for you for a while.

Your dreams were unsettling rather than outright terrifying, though that was through a fervent belief that nothing in it could truly harm you. It made sure you saw vague images of Itself admits all the psychological distressed It aimed to cause you with your belief that you should've been a girl.

You woke up in tears and your father guessed that would be the case. He was already up and had been making Waffles for you. The smell of the baking batter pulled you out of sleep.

You got up and walked into the bathroom, quietly washing your face then got dressed. Dressed to eventually go outside. Since your nightmares were going to follow you, you figured you might as well go some place you liked, like the library.

You cracked open your door, spying your father making breakfast for you. Licorice squeaked by your feet and your father turned to look at you.

"Good morning, Baby Doll." he smiled at you and you smiled back. You quickly rushed over to him and begged to help in some way. 

He chuckled and put you up on the counter next to the waffle maker. He said you could help pour the next ones once these were done. In the meantime a quite music box melody played from somewhere, allowing you to easily forget your dreams and yesterday's terror.

As soon as the waffles were put on a plate with chocolate drizzled on them you were distracted with eating. You looked like a little mess by the end of breakfast and you had downed a larger number of waffles than your tiny body should've been able to handle.

"So, baby Doll, I've been thinking... " your father started and paused to make sure you were paying attention. "..and I believe that your birthday is almost here~" your eyes lit up. Oh joy of seeing your extended family and maybe a few friends of your family just for your birthday! Maybe you'd be visiting them for a few days or maybe they'd be coming to see you!

Most likely this year they'd be coming hear and it would only be a few of them. Last you and your father visited one of your uncles and the rest of the family showed up to see you.

"I've already gotten letters from your uncles, one of them should be here by the end of the week." Your father continued, messing with your hair. You giggled happily, smiling widely.  "So what would you like to do this year?" he asked, cheeking on the last batch of waffles.

You thought for a moment and had no idea what you wanted to do this year.

That was unusual. But your birthday was still two weeks away, there was plenty of time to think of something.

Besides one of your uncles would be here soon, you couldn't wait to play with them!

~IT

It was interested in who was coming. There was family coming and it was most likely family that was out of It's reach too.

It didn't like that at all, because in all of It's napping, apparently your family never stayed long enough for It to sense them. Now there were too many outside factors... It would simply wait till they left and handle you then. In the meantime, it would go after other children with more DETERMINATION.

Still It wondered what else had grown in this world that could actually resist It's will. One was one too many, and now It felt that there were more that were able to resist...  But they weren't all human. Your father wasn't. So that had to be it. Something different than humans, and the dominate life force on the planet was still far too feeble to do anything about It.

Whatever had grown to be strong enough to resist was too few, too distant and too unaware to want to fight with It.