Chapter Five

Sirius put something called a feather-light charm on his trunk, and Harry carried it easily down the stairs, following his godfather.

They met Remus in the front hall, and he smiled at them.

"Ready to go?" he asked.

"We have all of Harry's things," confirmed Sirius.

"Where are we going?" Harry asked.

"To our home in London."

"Do you and Mr. Lupin live together, then?" Harry asked.

"Yes," Mr. Black responded after glancing at Mr. Lupin. "We do."

"Okay," Harry said, oblivious to the slight tension between the two men. "How are we going to get there?"

"We're going to do something called apparating. It's just disappearing in one spot and reappearing in another," he explained.

"Like teleporting?" Harry asked eagerly.

"Exactly like that, yes," Mr. Lupin said. "I'll take your things, and Sirius will take you. Sound alright?"

Harry nodded, taking Mr. Black's hand when it was offered to him, and letting go of his trunk when Mr. Lupin took it.

"It might feel a little strange, but I promise I'm very good at it," Mr. Black said. "Ready?"

Harry nodded, and Mr. Black turned on his foot. The next thing Harry knew, he felt as if he was being sucked through a tiny straw. It was a very odd feeling.

When the feeling stopped, they were in a small, untidy garden. Harry didn't recognize half the plants in it, and he was used to gardening for Aunt Petunia.

Mr. Lupin appeared with a pop next to them, holding Harry's trunk and the vivarium.

"Cool," Harry said, grinning up at Mr. Black.

"You'll learn to do it when you're older," he said, reaching down to ruffle Harry's hair.

He followed Mr. Lupin into the house, which was a bit dark.

"Kreacher!" Mr. Black called out, apparently randomly. Then there was another pop, and some kind of creature appeared in the hallway.

"How can Kreacher be helping Master Lord Black?" he asked, his tone servile and fawning.

"Take Harry's trunk and his tank up to his bedroom," Mr. Black said in a commanding tone.

"Yes, Master Lord Black," the being said, before snapping his fingers, disappearing with the trunk and vivarium.

"Who was that?" Harry asked, his eyes wide. "What was that?"

Mr. Black laughed a little bit, shaking his head.

"Merlin, Harry, I keep forgetting that you were raised by muggles! Kreacher is a House Elf, and he works for me."

"Oh, okay," Harry said, though he still had questions.

"Come on, let me give you a tour of the houses," Mr. Black said jovially, slinging his arm around Harry's shoulders.

Harry was lead through the townhouse, from the kitchen - "Kreacher's domain" - to the library - "be careful in here, Harry" - to his bedroom.

"Now, it's a little bit bland at the moment," Mr. Black warned him. "But I wanted to give you the chance to decorate it yourself."

He opened the door with a flourish and revealed a large bedroom with an opulent bed in the middle. It was larger than Dudley's room, even.