Chapter Seven

The rest of the ride to Hogwarts was spent carefully avoiding more political subjects and trading Chocolate Frogs cards back and forth. Harry's collection was much smaller than Malfoy's, since he'd only been collecting for a few weeks. Another thing for the boy to be suspicious of. But he hadn't said anything about it, thankfully, and even gave Harry a few cards that he had duplicates of. Crabbe and Goyle followed his lead, and soon Harry had the beginnings of a proper collection.

Malfoy had started teaching Harry gobstones when the train began to slow down. The time had flown by, and Harry was surprised that they had already arrived.

The four boys tidied up, storing everything in their trunks, before heading out of their compartment as soon as the train came to a stop. Their trunks, according to an announcement, would be taken to the castle separately.

The train had stopped in a small village that Harry knew to be Hogsmeade, at least according to Sirius and Remus. But Harry wouldn't be visiting the village until his third year, to his disappointment.

He followed Malfoy as they joined the crowd, all the first years getting together where a very, very tall man was calling for them, lantern in hand.

"Firs' years! Firs' years over here!" the man kept calling out, until the rest of Harry's class were gathered around him.

"Follow me!" the giant man called out, and he lead them to a lake and a row of small boats.

"No more than 4 to a boat!" he instructed, and Harry, Crabbe, Goyle, and Malfoy all got into one of the rickety-looking boats together. Harry noticed the bossy girl with a pudgy boy clutching a toad in his hands. Harry stroked Hedwig, reminding himself to warn the snake once again to be careful what she ate.

The boats were, apparently, propelled by magic, and as the giant man pointed a pink umbrella forward the boats moved in unison, as if pushed by a motor.

They traveled into a big cavern, covered with ivy, and then they emerged for their first glimpse at the castle. Harry gasped - he couldn't help himself. Hogwarts was magnificent, a castle even bigger than he had imagined, and he started to grin.

It was amazing.

Hedwig peered up at him, tasting the air, before looking towards the castle.

"It's so big," she hissed out, before burying herself in his robes once more.

The boats docked at the bottom of a huge staircase, and the giant man lead them up the stairs and to the large wooden doors, before knocking three times.

The familiar face of Professor McGonagall opened the door, and welcomed them inside, before giving a brief introduction to the houses and the point system, thing she had already explained to Harry before, on their trip to Diagon Alley.

Professor McGonagall left them to go into the Great Hall, and Harry started looking around. He knew his brother would be here somewhere, but he didn't know what he looked like or anything.

Harry wasn't sure what to think about his brother, Adam Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived. Unlike their parents, Adam hadn't done anything to him. Sure, Sirius claimed that he was a spoiled brat, but Remus had been oddly silent on that front. Harry had decided to judge Adam on his own merits. It was the least he could do, really. He would hate to be judged, himself, just from what others said about him.

Finally, he spotted a boy with similar messy black hair, a bit taller and broader than Harry was, who had the same shape of face and general look as he did. His eyes were a different color, though - blue, in contrast to Harry's bright green.

He wasn't sure, but Harry thought that this might be his twin. He glanced towards Draco, intending to ask him if he knew, but Draco was already pushing through the crowd, Crabbe and Goyle following him. Harry watched, curious as to what Draco was doing.