Chapter Nine

Harry, Malfoy, and the rest of the first year Slytherin's followed the prefects from the Great Hall, through winding passages, until the air was cool and there were no more windows Apparently the Slytherins slept in the dungeons. There were few of the moving portraits down there, but plenty of interesting tapestries.

They were lead to an unassuming bit of stone wall, where the prefect turn to speak to the first years.

"This is the entrance to the Slytherin Common Room," the girl said. "This should go without saying, but members of other houses aren't allowed here. Make as many friends as you want, just keep the Common Room for Slytherins only, alright?" she side, before winking at them. "The password changes every two weeks, and it's put up on the notice board the day before it changes. Right now it's ambition."

The stone wall melted away into an arch, and she lead Harry and the rest of his cohort forward. He looked around the Common Room curiously. It was decorated in a green, silver, and black scheme, and it was obviously under the lake, because part of the ceiling gave a view of the water.

"Wow," he muttered under his breath, grinning at the sight. It was obviously magic, and the greenish light from the lake was impressive to see.

The first year gathered around the prefects again. This time it was the boy who spoke.

"You can come to us any time you have questions," he said. "You'll get your schedule of classes tomorrow, and you're expected to be on time for every one of them, so leave for them early if you're worried about getting lost. You can always ask the portraits, or our house ghost, The Bloody Baron, for directions if a prefect is not available. You can also speak to the Head Boy or Girl," he added, "but as they aren't Slytherin, they may be more difficult to contact."

Harry listened quietly. He wanted his time at Hogwarts to go smoothly, and he didn't want to get into trouble, so it seemed best to pay attention.

"We are Slytherin," the other prefect took up. "All too often we are misunderstood by the other houses. But we're as smart as Ravenclaws, as loyal as Hufflepuffs, and as brave as Gryffindors, when we need to be. The difference is, Slytherins are more ambitious, more cunning, and we have a sense of self-preservation. We pride ourselves on the fact that Slytherins look out for each other. That means we present a united front. If you don't get along with your fellow housemate, fine. Just keep your conflicts inside the common room."

"I'll take the boys to their dormitory, and Gemma will take the girls," the male prefect said, gesturing for them to follow him. "Come on."

Harry and Malfoy were the first to follow him, the rest of the boys behind them. There were Crabbe and Goyle, of course, as well as Zabini, who had questioned Harry at dinner, and Nott, who so far seemed to be very quiet.

They were lead to a discreet door, down a sloping hallway.

"We have plenty of space down below the dungeons," the prefect said. "There are seven rooms, one for each year. Once you're assigned a room, it will be yours for the rest of your stay at Hogwarts."

They arrived at a door with the words First Years emblazoned in silver. The prefect opened the door and led them inside.

"Your trunks are already at your beds," he said, as the first years filed in. "You can trade, if you want to, but I'd advise you to pick a bed and stay with it. Classes start tomorrow after breakfast, so get up bright and early to get your schedules from our head of house, Professor Snape, in the Great Hall. And don't stay up too late," he added with a smirk. "Sleep well."

And he turned and left them, shutting the door behind him.

The boys all went to find their trunks. The beds were arranged in a circle, and he found himself between Nott and Malfoy.