iii

❦

"Good morning, Y/n." Kate grinned as Y/n walked into the kitchen. It had taken her a bit to find the room seeing as the mansion was huge and practically practically a maze to her.

"If you think the house is a maze, you should try the maze out in the garden." Y/n's attention was quickly drawn to a little girl sitting at the counter. The little girl had a piece of paper in front of her in which she was coloring on. Although, it didn't look like much of a picture seeing as it was just all black. She was furiously scribbling the page black.

Choosing to ignore that, Y/n now focused on the fact that the little girl had read her mind.

"Y/n, this is Flora." Kate said, gesturing to the girl at the counter who had now put the crayon down. "Flora, what did I tell you about coloring near the food?" Kate scolded, picking up the now completely black paper–not before giving it a wary look–and replaced it with a plate of waffles in front of the little brunette.

"Hi!" Flora said enthusiastically. "I'm really excited to have you guys here. Especially you, Y/n, we're gonna be best friends! Right?" Nervously, Y/n nodded her head. The little girl set her on edge, yet, she seemed tauntingly cute and innocent.

Awkwardly, Y/n sat down next Flora, Kate gently setting a plate of waffles in front of Y/n too.

"Listen, I want you to hang out with Flora today, Y/n. She can show you around and you can play together while I get some stuff settled with Mrs. Grose's help." Y/n simply glanced at Kate warily.

"I can certainly show you around! We can play dollies and go see the horses!" Flora rambled, Y/n's mind soon wandering as the little girl continued talking. She couldn't put her finger on it, but this place just wasn't right. Y/n wasn't sure if anyone else could feel it or if she was just going crazy. After all, she hadn't taken her medications for that morning yet.

"Y/n?" Flora questioned, tapping her shoulder. Y/n turned to look at her, humming in response. Soon, she realized that Flora was waiting for a response from her.

"Oh, yeah. Sounds great." Y/n said grinning painfully. "I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun."

The wind smelled odd. Instead of a like a breath of fresh air, it smelled like metal and something rotting. Something that Y/n would just have to get used to if she was staying here for who knows how long.

"The horses are really nice! Maybe if Miles visits he could let you ride one!" Flora exclaimed causing Y/n to stop midstep staring at the little girl. Somehow when Y/n was sitting with Flora earlier she didn't realize that her eyes were so dark. Like a void or an endless galaxy. It mildly intimidated Y/n.

"Who's Miles?" She asked slowly. Flora simply looked at Y/n as if she was losing her mind. Perhaps she was.

"He's my brother! Right now he's at his school. Some really fancy place my Uncle used to say. Although, I don't know why Miles still goes. All he does is talk about how horrible it is." Flora explained. She opened her mouth as if she was going to explain more, but her explanation was cut short when we reached the stables. The little girl squealed, running into the stables before Y/n could even start after her. Scoffing, she trudged up to the stables, but something in her gut churned.

"Flora?" She whispered, peeking her head into the quiet stable building. Her feet crunched on the hay that lay tossed in sporadic piles. Slowly, she walked down the one aisle of stables. Not a single horse was in any of them. Y/n pushed open one of the doors, the creaking sound being the only noise in the entire silent stables.

"Flora? Please tell me you're in here." Y/n murmured again, turning around from the door she'd opened, facing the opposite wall. She steadily tread to the other side of the stables and yet there still weren't any horses. The only thing in the stables were spiders and an unnecessary amount of hay.

Suddenly, a pitch black horse leapt up into the air from one of the stable rooms, neighing loudly. Startled, Y/n fell backwards onto the ground with a scream. Just then, someone started laughing.

"You should've seen your face!" Flora shrieked, her laughs now flooding the once silent building.

"Not funny, Flora!" Y/n snapped, standing up. Flora immediately stopped laughing, simply staring at Y/n as she brushed the dirt and hay off of her clothes. Instead of sticking around with Flora, Y/n glared at her before stomping out of the stables. The wind immediately whipped her hair around her face, some of it blurring her vision by getting in her eyes.

"Y/n!" She turned around hearing someone call her name, but when she was able to get the hair out of her face, no one was standing there.

"Hello? Flora?" A laugh was carried through the wind as Y/n spoke causing her to turn back around towards the house, stumbling a bit. The air seemed colder as a shiver went down her spine and goosebumps crawled up her arms even though she had long sleeves on.

Y/n stumbled forward, hugging herself in the cold weather. The wind blew harder and harder as she continued to advance clumsily, the wind seeming as if it could blow her right over. This time, instead of laughing, Y/n heard voices. Some high pitched, others lower pitched, all saying the same thing over and over again. They just kept repeating her name, some quietly, some loudly.

"Y/n... Y/n... Y/n... Y/n...," They spoke eerily. Y/n screamed in response to the whispering voices as she stopped walking. She wanted more than anything to make it stop. What kind of house was this?

"You shouldn't be here." One mumbled loud enough for Y/n to hear it over all the other voices. Soon, all of their voices melted into a crazed laugh. All their laughs mixing together to create different speeds and pitches. Her hands instinctively went to grab her head, her fingers clenched around her hair. Y/n's jaw was taught and salty tears flowed down her cold cheeks.

"Make it stop... make it stop!" Y/n screamed at the top of her lungs which hurt profoundly as she struggled to breath. The wind only rushed past her at an impossible speed. The wind pushed her around, spinning her. When she opened her eyes, she was staring at dead woods. The branches and twigs reaching out to her just like claws of a predator desperately grasping for its prey.

More laughs and giggles erupted from the forest, flooding her ears. The last thing she saw was a figure step into her line of sight, its entire outfit black and its face covered in some red liquid. Then, Y/n's eyesight blurred as her eyes rolled back into her head and her body went limp.

[words : 1196]