xv

❦

Y/n dragged Miles by the hand down the hallway. She itched to get out of the house, excited to go back home. Not only would she be going home, but she'd be bringing Miles with her.

As they were running through the halls, the walls started melting. The familiar black ink running down the walls, smudging the wallpaper and paintings. From the top of the wall–where the walls met the ceiling–spiders appeared and started crawling towards Y/n. She stopped abruptly, letting go of Miles' hand. She wheezed as she saw all the spiders crawl towards her, their pincers making atrocious sounds. Her body shook as she stood, watching the creepy crawlies. They advanced towards her and started crawling up her body just like they had when she was in the basement. Screaming, she started clawing at her body, frantically trying to flick them off. 

"Y/n." Miles said, shaking the girl's body as she stood there sobbing. "Y/n!" He screamed. Miles was confused as to why she stopped and why she was brushing at her clothes. There was nothing happening. Suddenly, Miles understood. Quint was here, trying to get them to stay. Miles knew this was his fault–he wasn't supposed to leave the house.

"Y/n!" He yelled once more, grabbing her hand. Y/n's body slowly stopped shaking as she blinked away the sight of spiders. There was nothing, she was losing her mind.

"We have to go...," She whispered, gripping Miles' hand once more. She hurriedly walked towards the staircase. As they walked, the paintings fell off the walls, whispering filled Y/n's head. The voices were so loud and jumbled that she couldn't hear anything else. Not Miles, not their footsteps against the echoing halls, not even her own breathing. The paintings came to life, ghosts of all the portraits appearing in front of the frightened girl and guilty Miles. Suddenly, Miles yanked his hand away from Y/n's. 

"Go... without me." He said, hugging himself. Stubbornly, Y/n shook her head–although she hadn't really heard what Miles said for the voices were still screaming–and grabbed his upper-arm, tugging him down the steps. As they ran, Y/n closed her eyes, too terrified to even look at the ghosts that were now chasing them. Plus, if she closed her eyes, she could block out the voices and focus on getting out.

Y/n didn't even check to see if Flora was with Kate, she just ran straight out the front door as soon as her foot stepped off the bottom step. Miles, however, slowed her down.

"I can't!" He screamed. Y/n's head had cleared up enough for her to hear him by now.

"Yes, you can! C'mon." She demanded, pulling him out the door with her. Luckily, Kate and Flora were at the car already. Quickly, Y/n flung the back door open, squeezing herself into the middle seat while Miles settled on her right. The car was already started, so Kate immediately started driving as soon as the two teens had sat in the back.

Y/n turned to look at Flora only to find her shaking and sobbing. In an attempt to comfort her, Y/n hugged the little girl tightly, whispering uplifting things.

"Miles... I don't wanna die." Flora whispered, looking at her older brother. Miles seemed to understand the situation, seeing as he tensed up. In fact, Miles knew very well why Flora was saying that: as kids Flora had watched their parents die as soon as they pulled out of the gate. Flora had lived her life in fear of dying, so she'd never left the premises. Miles tried to do everything to get her to leave the land with him, but she'd refused every time.

"Please! It won't hurt you... I promise." He'd plead, holding onto her tiny hands tightly, afraid that if he let go she'd slip away.

"I don't want to end up like Mom and Dad." She'd reply vaguely every time. And every time, Miles would have to take her back inside before she could see him cry. 

"You're not going to die." Y/n assured, hugging Flora even tighter. Miles watched how lovingly Y/n treated Flora and his heart swelled. Suddenly, he looked down to see Y/n interlacing her fingers with his, holding his hand lovingly. She sent him a soft smile before letting go of Flora and hugging Miles. Miles hadn't realized it, but they'd made it past the gate. Flora was alive and grinning.

Miles sighed, snuggling his head into Y/n's shoulder. He was out of the house, he was safe.

"I love you." He whispered into her shoulder. He hadn't meant to, but it'd slipped out. He felt his face burn as Y/n stiffened. Carefully, her hand came up to his face and cupped his cheek. She lifted his head so that he his eyes were boring into hers, a sort of shimmer in her eyes.

"I love you too." She murmured, smiling at him again. For some reason, Miles found himself laughing at the thought of someone loving him like he loved them.

"You're insane." He chuckled, wiping the nervous tears out of his eyes. Miles observed as Y/n's face contorted into one of confusion–a sight that made his heart leap. Her face was so perfect in his mind. She had radiating skin, like the sun piercing through rain clouds, bringing happiness with it. Her eyes were breathtaking, reflecting sunlight so perfectly that her eyes looked like diamonds. And her lips were so pretty pink that Miles just wanted to kiss them constantly to make sure she knew just how much he loved her. She was perfect and Miles loved her.

"I am not insane!" She giggled, playfully slapping Miles' shoulder causing him to laugh alongside her. Their giggling went on for a bit more before Miles spoke up.

"You're insane for loving me." He whispered. He thought that maybe she was in fact insane for loving him–of maybe she wasn't? Miles was beyond scared that she would find someone better than him. Someone who was easy to open up to her, someone who didn't cause her to become possessed. But this was Y/n, and he shouldn't be scared about that.

"And you're insane for letting yourself become possessed for me." She quickly retorted. Miles tensed at the mention of becoming possessed, absolutely traumatised by Quint and his shenanigans. Miles knew that it was over, Y/n had saved him, but he was scared that Peter Quint would follow him for the rest of his life, causing him hell wherever he went.

"Hey, I'm sorry I didn't mean it." Y/n whispered, holding Miles' face in her dainty hands. "Becoming possessed for me is the most meaningful thing anyone's ever done for me." She snickered, but was quick to cover it up with a cough as soon as she realized Miles wasn't laughing as well.

"I love you. Becoming possessed was a stupid decision in my opinion. You was hurting, mentally and physically and for what? Just so you could save me? That is beyond stupid to me," She said, her eyes flickering between both of Miles saddened ones. "But I appreciate it. Gosh... I really don't know what I'm saying, but I love you. I love you, I love you, I love you, and I am never going to leave you. You are everything to me." She whispered, leaning her forehead against Miles'.

"I love you more." Miles said, grinning. Y/n's heart melted. She leaned in and pressed her lips to Miles', enjoying the warmth that the action brought to her. Miles relaxed into the kiss, smiling into it. When Y/n pulled away, Miles was grinning at her. Her heart did flips at the smile on Miles' face. It reminded her of the picture in Miles' room, the one of him and Quint at the stables, riding the horses.

Y/n grinned at the thought that she had made Miles smile so genuinely. Finally, they'd be free to make new memories. Maybe Kate could rent out her own apartment and Flora and Miles could live with them. Y/n and Miles could have their first date (maybe at the movies, or at an amusement park, she thought). Y/n realized just how deep she was in love with Miles, and that was perfectly okay with her. Miles was also perfectly okay with being in love with as fantastic of a girl as Y/n.

They were both okay and completely in love. They've also learned that, together, they aren't nearly as insane as they thought.

˗ˏˋ the end ˊˎ˗

[words : 1443]