ix

❦

Y/n was different. She wasn't her normal self snapping over her medication, playing dollies with Flora–earlier that day, she'd ripped one of Flora's dolls out of the little girl's hands, tearing the head right off of the body as if it was nothing. Flora had run back to her room sobbing into her hands and Kate scolded Y/n for doing something so rash.

"What is wrong with you? Flora just wanted to play dolls! If you really had so much of a problem with it, you could have just told her no like a civilized person!" Kate yelled, Y/n staring straight ahead, her eyes dull. The girl hadn't even flinched. It was as if her brain was turned off and she was no longer capable of reacting to sudden movements or the raised sounds around her. 

Kate had noticed this and was immediately concerned for her little sister. Kate had known that this wasn't the same girl. Y/n would've loved to play dollies with Flora, not tear the little girl's doll in half–Y/n may as well have torn Flora's heart in half along with the doll.

"I don't have time for distractions." Y/n monotonically said, shifting her gaze slightly so it now rested on Kate. "The quicker I get it done, the happier he'll be." She finished, pushing past her older sister, heading straight to her room.

Miles, who had been sitting there, watching the whole ordeal unfold before his eyes, was struck with fear. He recognized the shallow, dismal look in Y/n's eyes. It was one that he once wore before. 

It made his heart squeeze with the thought that Y/n wasn't herself, like someone else was controlling her. Miles thought the girl had been strong enough to fight it, so he let a few of his guards down. He supposes that only made her weaker, allowing his problems to pile up on her shoulders. He supposed that that's why she was no longer her sassy-self, her personality completely wiped. Like she had been implanted with a chip, a chip that described her character, deeming her traits. Like that chip had been taken out of her control system, replaced with one labeled 'kill mode'. A 'kill mode' chip that would stop at no end to get its task done, whether it led to its own demise. A chip that would ultimately destroy poor Y/n from the inside out the longer it was forced into her head.

"Why is she acting like that?" Kate whispered, pacing the room in front of Miles. Miles could distinctly pick out the scuff marks on the floor where the carpet had been worn down from the many people who had copied Kate's exact actions many moons before. He had so confidently known because he himself had been one of the lost people, pacing back and forth, trying to find something to help themselves. Miles remembers the sound of rubber shoe soles on the carpet, the strings slowly being unwound as his feet pounded against the floor, his mind soaring.

"I know." Miles replied before he could stop himself. Kate's feet stopped abruptly, her eyes now set on the boy. Miles wished more than anything that he hadn't said that. He wished he could go back in time to switch his words. He wished he could go back in time to change a lot of things, now that he thought about it.