Work

I love my job.

I do.

But not when I'm being shot at!!

"Fuck fuck fuck!" Ducking down more behind a dumpster I covered my head.

A craze filled laugh sounded beside me as the woman known as Hailey reloaded her gun. "Don't tuck tail Chris! Shoot them bitches back!" She giggled softly at me before leaning around the dumpster and shooting.

The noises made me groan and cover my ears. "I forgot my gun! Getting shot at was not on the todo list!"

Hailey glanced at me with a flat face before going back to her task of firing at the strangers. "We get shot at, at least 4 times a week! I'm telling boss!"

I looked at her quickly and whined in annoyance. "You wouldn't dare!"

A bullet jet passed her arm, grazing her and making her pull back. She looked at the wound before brushing it off, I also paid it no mind. "I so would." She smirked and I knew she was serious.

Before I could think of even landing my fist against her cheek, of which we did often to each other, new gunshots started up from down the alleyway. Me and Hailey shared a confused look until the shots stopped. It was quiet in the area until a familiar voice spoke up.

"How long do you both plan to hide there?"

Hailey broke out a bright smile as she stood up and looked over the dumpster. "Brother!" She ran from out hiding spot and left me alone.

I could hear a soft grunt after. Pretty sure she jumped on him for a hug and he pushed her off. The sound of her laughing after told me I was right, they did that often. Her brother was Cory, as known as our boss. We worked under him as Runners. We move products and weight across the city as fast as possible. Yet on days like this it was risky to even be outside.

"Chris..." The tone held a warning in it.

I sighed softly before peeking around the dumpster. Jumping back quickly I avoided the bullet that was shot at me. It grazed the dumpster and created sparks. My heart was pounding and I groaned loudly. "I'm sorry!"

"Sorry for forgetting your gun or sorry for dropping my shit all over the south side street? The fucking cops has it all now and I am out of half a million dollars. So to be clear what are you sorry for exactly?" His footsteps started to sound and I knew he was getting closer.

Swallowing down my embarrassment I slowly peeked back out. The alleyway was full of our guys and Hailey. They were watching or cleaning up the dead bodies on the ground. I wished they'd leave but I didn't have time for pride to get in my way as Cory reached me and lifted his gun up to my face.

I rushed my words out anyway while fighting the blush that consumed my face. "I'm sorry for not kissing you before I left this morning.....or waking you...or even leaving a note."

That's what his attitude was about. We have been dating for a good year now and he always throws a tantrum when I treat him like a one night stand. It was a bad habit I was trying to break. This morning I had gotten dressed in his place and left while he was sleeping like I was never there. I may have did it three nights in a row and he finally got tired of it.

I could hear Hailey and some of the guy snickering at my words and I huffed softly. My face was beat red as I stared at Cory. He watched me before slowly lowering his gun and crossing his arms. Just like always....he started pouting.

"You always do that...do you want to get away from me that bad?" He never did have a problem with everyone watching his most private moments.

I slowly stood up and tried to shush him as the others did a horrible job of stifling their laughter. "You know that's not it. Can we talk about this later?"

"No we can't Chris. You always avoid me and we never talk." He was growing aggravated and annoyed. He looked down the alley at the other before lifting his gun. "I swear I will shoot each on of you in the fucking face! Get back to base and Hailey if you say one word I will cut off each of your fingers." He spoke through clenched teeth and I winced slightly at the anger in his voice.

They all knew it wasn't a playful moment anymore. Packing up what they needed they hurried away from us and took Hailey with them. Once we were alone Cory reached out and took my arm to drag me to his car parked on the corner. Only when we were both inside did he once again start pouting.

He was adorable.

He faced me as he put his gun away. "Do you...want to stop seeing me?"

Not only did that mean he might shoot me out of heartbreak but, I wouldn't want that either. "Of course not Cory. I just was in a rush. You've been so stressed this week because of the police investigating you so I wanted to try and make this run go successfully. I got up early to meet with Hailey and head out."

I could see he was having a hard time accepting my answer. "It's just I know you like women too...so I always think....you'll...." He couldn't finish it and looked at me with sad deep brown eyes.

Smiling softly I leaned over in the car to kiss his lips gently. "I would never. I want you and only you. I really am sorry for leaving so suddenly."

He watched me closely before nodding and smiling. Once he relaxed he started the car and started the way back to base. I sighed to myself as I looked out the window. I was starting to want to end all of this. Cory was getting too attached and I had yet to get the word to take him down already. The bureau was taking too long to send me back new orders.

I hate being undercover for so long.

I was catching feeling for my next kill and it was pissing me off.

End