1. Perceptive

Tristan Devereux was a perceptive man. It was a trait he was blessed with at a young age. He knew when a clock wasn't ticking or when it ticked ahead or behind. He noticed how a crowd of people often split for him when he was in their presence. The women in his department offered him smiles. And the men pretended to play nice, but they despised him for the success he created all on his own.

So of course he knew this woman who was sitting across from him wasn't lying. Auburn hair, gray eyes and plump lips he had imprinted into his mind.

"Pregnant," he said, the word rolling off his tongue like a curse word.

"Yes, Mr. Devereux, I am pregnant with your child." She casted her eyes down to her nails to avoid his intense hazel eyes. He noticed that immediately but wasn't fazed by it. "Anyway, you don't even remember me. I just thought you should know. Goodbye."

And with those words, she stood up from her chair and fastened the buttons of her jacket. Her hand was on the door when Tristan suddenly said, "I want a DNA test and then I'll have you sign a confidentiality contract when you return with the results."

Those gray eyes blazed with rage. Oh, yes, he remembered this one. The little virgin... which she never admitted to that night. She had been a challenge, and when he finally stumbled into bed with her, he didn't ever want to stop his deep thrusting or the desperate movement of her hands in his hair, pulling him closer and closer until they came together.

But it was because of moments like these that made him doubt trust and people in general. There have been several women claiming to be carrying his child since he started his business in modern medicine. It happened to almost every man in the Devereux family as elite members of society.

"I refuse to take a DNA test," she said in utter disgust. "I was here to inform you about your child, but don't you worry because I'll be out of your life the second I walk out this door."

And it was the truth. Olivia couldn't even look after herself, so another human being was out of the question. She didn't believe in abortions, and it wasn't an option, especially with the guilt she was feeling just by thinking about it. She wouldn't want more guilt piling up on her conscious if she did go through with it.

Once again, Tristan's voice stopped her. "You will take a test. We have a lab downstairs you'll go to so there will be no mixups."

She blinked hard at him, opening her mouth in shock and disbelief. "I don't want anything from you. And you sure as hell don't want anything from me."

"Olivia," he said, drawing out her name the same way he did the night of their passionate love making. "I want my child. Give me proof it's mine so I can take this predicament off your hands."

She laughed at the insensitive man. "How dare you have the nerve to call my child a predicament? There is nothing unpleasant about the blood I carry. Goodbye, Mr. Devereux, and I hope you rot in hell."

He was obviously beyond amused after she left. She didn't want him in his child's life. It was definitely his, and if she was carrying his heir, there was no way he'd pass up an opportunity to know so.

"Jack," he spoke calmly to the man who stood at the door of his office. "Do whatever it takes to get me those results."

"Yes, sir."

It wasn't more than two hours later when Tristan managed to dig up things about Olivia Avery - his one night stand and now the mother of his child. The results had come back to say he indeed was the father based on a DNA test.

He was surprised to find that Olivia had taken the liberty of taking the test herself at his hospital, and Jack managed to get his hands on it. Neither one of them would ever know how she managed to get a swab of his DNA. Looking down at the files of her personal life, he exhaled sharply when he saw she wasn't exactly living like the queen of England.