2. Protection

"You asleep?"

Aaron grunted when he felt the light tapping on his chest. "Go back to bed, Olive. This is the only sleep I'll be getting this week."

She pouted. She didn't mean to, but she actually did. And Aaron instantly gave in as he pulled her into his twin size bed and threw the comforter over them.

"I'm not here to sleep," she muttered, but she couldn't help snuggling against him. "Tristan is in the living room."

"Now?"

"Yes now. Help me get rid of him."

The two entered the living room where Tristan had begun pacing back and forth. This place was not standard living off a pediatrician's salary. This was too... poor for his taste and hers. He knew that because Olivia looked like a woman with taste. There went his perceptive trait again.

"Why are you here?" Aaron asked as he and Tristan had a stare down.

"I see you have company."

Olivia watched as his lips became a thin line. She couldn't understand Tristan's bitterness, but it wasn't like she understood him at all anyway. "He's my roommate."

"Your roommate?" he repeated, frantically shaking his head. "Your girl friend is a roommate. Your sister is a roommate. Not this... here!"

Aaron's jaw clenched as he pulled Olivia against his body and kissed her hair. "Maybe I shouldn't leave you alone with him."

"You can head back to bed," she said, ignoring the deadly look on Tristan's face. "I'll handle this."

Aaron gave the man a warning glare as he sauntered back to his bedroom. Leaving his best friend alone to face the devil himself was stupid, but he knew Olivia was a smart girl.

Tristan circled around the living room. He didn't fit well in the place. Olivia noted how it was too small for a man his height. It was also too small for Aaron, but she at least got used to seeing him in their home. Tristan, on the other hand, looked out of place.

"Your boyfriend?"

She looked up at him and shook her head. "He's a friend."

"Have you given any thought to my proposal?"

She wanted to choke the living daylights out of him. He really jumped the gun. "It wasn't a proposal."

"What do you want?" he asked, fingering the ring in his pocket. He was beginning to think coming here was a bad idea. "Me on a bended knee with candles and petals? I'm not a romantic, Olivia. But I will do that if I have to."

"I don't want you to propose. I don't want you to do anything and" - She groaned when he dropped down on one knee and presented her with a platinum diamond ring - "especially not that! Get the hell off my floor, Mr. Devereux."

"It's Tristan to you." He took a hold of her hand and slipped the ring on before she could pull away. "We'll be married this weekend at my parents' estate. Invite who you want and don't worry about the dress."

"I will not marry you," she said, angrily throwing the ring at him. "You cannot come into my life demanding I tie my life to yours. I will give you joint custody of my child-"

"Our child."

"But I will not be forced to marry you. Now get out of my apartment."

"Why did you come to me then?" he asked, suddenly angry at the stubborn woman. "You didn't come to me to kindly let me know you're carrying my child. You want something."