8. Announcement

Nothing had been heard for two days. Two days was all it took for Leo and Jaxson to regroup and discuss what they had to do. On the third day, they showed up to class.

  Jenny had chewed me out when we had gotten back to our dorm building. I felt like she had actually been slapping me. All she had done was yell at me. But she had a reason. And a good one at that.

  I was just glad to see her waiting outside my dorm for me. She hadn't given up our friendship over some crazy Gemini drama. She linked our arms together as she dragged us at a quicker pace than I normally go down the hall.

  "I couldn't believe all the huff and he just gave you his wallet," she muttered.

  I shrugged. He's handed me his wallet for less before. I didn't reply as a crackling noise filled the building. It took me a moment to realize it was the static from the speakers turning on. No one had used them for years.

  A high pitched ring sounded before they fixed it and a voice could be heard.

  Jenny uncovered her ears to listen. Aquarius students appeared out of their dorms. No one had been paying attention this much since the last time the speaker went off.

  "Hello, students. Libra Zodiac speaking," a voice announced statically, "Zodiac Academy would like to inform all of the students about a dance this upcoming week. Rule Two shall not be broken. Prepare to be asked to the Signs Dance by another sign. Coming with a fellow sign is not allowed. To participate in Signs Dance you must partner with another sign and show up to the gymnasium in the Aries building. Thank you."

  The voice went silent. More crackling and then the speakers finally followed.

  Most of the Aquarius had gone back to their rooms. We were businessmen and women, we didn't care about dances. But the few who did stay outside their room discussed the new activity with each other.

  Jenny started dragging me down the hallway again. Small snippets of conversations about the dance could be heard.

  "I can't go with an Aquarius girl?" A boy pouted.

  "As if I would want to take one of these Aquarius witches," the other scoffed.

  As we walked by Jenny smacked the boy's forearm. "Don't be such an ass, Dereck." She stuck her tongue out at him.

  "See what I mean?" Dereck whispered to his friend.

  The other boy started to laugh.

  She rolled her eyes. "As if anyone would want to go with him," she snapped.

  I shrugged. "He looked my type," I joked. I glanced over my shoulder at the boy.

  Jenny scoffed. "You're kidding. He's anything but your type. Your type is quiet, average height, and killer eyes. Oh, and not your sign."

  This time I rolled my eyes. "You're wrong."

  She clicked her tongue in disbelief.

°^°^°

  The professor ruffled his papers together. "I know you all are about to rush off to discuss the Sign Dance," he sighed, "but I want you to listen to what I have to say before the bell rings and y'all scatter."

  Every single one of the Aquarius students stared silently in response. Nobody was actually going to respond. This was a classroom, not a party.

  A student near the front of the class raised her hand. I mentally facepalmed. Someone had to make me a liar. It was only my bad luck hitting me on the back of the head with a reality check.

  "Yes?" the professor grumbled.

  "Are you going to go over time?" they asked.

  "I don't plan on it. Keep talking and I might."

  The girl "zipped" her lips with her fingers. She proceeded to lock it and throw away the invisible key. Waving her hand, she gestured for him to continue speaking.

  "I know some of you must be excited about the dance. We have not held a dance for years. The last time it was hosted you were all resting after the day of the Test. As will be the Twelve Years this year."

  The professor paused to pick up his papers. He glanced at a few of them and set them down again.

  Why couldn't he get to the point already? The bell was about to ring and he had to know half of this class was going to ignore him and leave if he was going to go overtime.

  "The Signs Dance is some of the Zodiacs' favorite things to plan. Do try to follow the rules. I cannot express how deeply you must refrain from breaking Rule Two. I can't tell you how many of our most excellent students have been thrown out because of the Signs Dance and the temptation of breaking Rule Two."

  A few students snickered while others stayed deathly silent. Just shows who was planning on bending the rules. And they were stupid if they thought they'd be able to get away with it.

  The bell rang.

  "Consider what I said!" The professor called as the students started to rush out of the classroom to the next.

  Jenny hopped her way over to my desk. "I know you probably don't want to even go to the dance, but I do," she stated.

  "Are you asking me to be your date? Because that's not allowed," I deadpanned.

  Jenny smiled at me. "Very funny."

  "I try. So, who's the lucky sign?"

  "I didn't say I had anyone to take me."

  I placed my hand on her shoulder. "I see you ogle that Pisces every time they walk past our building," I stated.

  Jenny's face flushed. "I don't know what you're talking about."

  I chuckled. "Don't worry, sweets, I'm not going to say anything to anybody."

  She nodded slowly. The subject having passed, she began to bounce on her feet. "So?"

  "So?"

  "Who are you going with?"

  "I'm not going." I walked around her.

  I didn't plan on going from the very beginning. Going to a dance full of all twelve signs was going to be disastrous. And I didn't want to be a part of it.

  "I think you'll change your mind by next week."

  I almost didn't have the will to argue. Almost. "I think not."

  She rushed to keep up with me. I was trying to take long strides to lose her. "We'll see," she sang.

  I wasn't going. That was final. And I wasn't going to change my mind. Not for anything nor anyone.