13. Umbrella

I blinked open my eyes. Cho was staring at me and credits were rolling over the big screen. Suddenly, I had a little bit more energy.

  "You fell asleep. Near the part where the semi-translucent guy wanted to give her bath tokens and she wouldn't take them."

  I rubbed my eyes. "I did not. I literally just blinked."

  Cho smiled. This time it wasn't goofy, nor lopsided. "No, you did. It was a good movie. I liked it. Are you still tired? The dance should be starting any minute. You want to go rest or do you think we could get in another movie?"

  I tilted my head to the side. "No way. It can't already be time for the dance."

  "But it is."

  I attempted to stand. Attempted. I got dizzy and fell back down to the chair. Sleep was grasping at my consciousness but my will to stay lucid was just overpowering enough. I just hoped something would kick into my system soon to keep me awake.

  "I don't think I could sit through another movie. I still don't see how it's so late already."

  "Ah," he said, as if enlightened by something new, "I watched two more movies. I suppose you needed sleep. You look better, too. I'm glad you didn't drool on me." He winked at me.

  "Drool on you?" I asked slowly. My brain was still trying to catch up from when I had decided to stand.

  "Yeup. Your head smacked into my shoulder so I readjusted you as to not get a crick in your neck or something." He started to rub the back of his neck.

  Was it a sign of nervousness? Over something so small?

  "Oh. Thanks. I guess."

  "Don't mention it. What are you going to do instead?"

  "I -"

  Was interrupted. Thankfully. I didn't have an answer for him anyway. The door slammed open and a frazzled Jenny walked into the room. "Do you have an umbrella?" she screamed.

  "What do you need an umbrella for?" I asked. I started to walk towards her and Cho stood up to follow my lead.

  "It's raining!" she cried. Thunder followed her statement closely. Her white blonde, blue hair was curled to perfection and the rain would ruin it.

  "I have one," Cho said, raising his hand.

  Jenny's seafoam gaze slid to Cho. Her fists balled up the dress she was wearing and her makeup was starting to fade down her dewy cheeks. "What are you two doing in here?" She glanced at the now blank screen.

  "Let's go get that umbrella!" I ushered her back out the door. Cho had to lead the way to his dorm room. Neither of us had ever been there. With a reason I didn't think was so valid anymore.

  Cho opened his door and a wave of flowery scents rushed out. I covered my face and tried not to breathe it all in. His room was painted a boring grey and the floor was spotless.

  "Are we sure this is his room? No way he can be this clean, right?" Jenny whispered.

  I couldn't answer her. "Can we come in? I want to fix up her makeup," I called into the room.

  "Yeah," his faint voice said, "just be careful not to step on any of my stuff."

  I pushed a resisting girl in a fluffy purple dress inside his room. There was absolutely nothing to step on. Maybe the matching grey sheet that was sliding off his bed, but that was it.

  "Were you crying? Why is your makeup sliding down your face?" I asked Jenny.

  I cleared off a seat for her to sit on. She sighed. "I wasn't crying. I was on the verge of crying. And I couldn't find my waterproof makeup."