❨17❩

♀︎

It's in his eyes, the silent question, the silent need to know what is happening in my life. But there is something else there, too, as if he knows the predicament I'm in. He communicates like he knows and understands what I'm going through. He doesn't dig for answers and I instantly know he has dealt with some shit in his life, too. It's written so clearly in his eyes right now. 

I smile at him with a nod, "I'm fine, don't worry about me."

He reciprocates my smile, "We talked about the 'fine' before, love. It's not sufficient if you want me to stay away from you."

"You aren't intrusive," I state with honesty and allow our eyes to meet intensely. "Which is why I won't break my neck in trying to get you away from me, we are studying tomorrow after all."

"Yeah, about that," His smile falls and I know what's coming. "Something got in the way, I came here to tell you in person."

The bubble of disappointment washes over me and I see the regret in his eyes, it's funny how he allows me to see emotions on his face, but as soon as anyone else is within an arm's reach, he turns it off. As a switch. I don't even know how he does it, maybe I should work on my poker face.

I nod at him and mask my emotions, I can do this, "Everything is fine, we will find another day."

"I didn't want to say no to you, but," He pauses trying to find the right words, "Something important came up."

"Yeah, I get it. Life gets in the way and it's not like you're standing me up on a date, it's only an assignment anyway."

He smiles at me and his eyes fall to the wound, saddening immediately, "Let's get you cleaned up."

"No, I will fix it," Trying to assure him is a lost cause as he guides me with him inside, the gentle touch of his drives me crazy, but I don't show it. 

"Where is the first aid kit?" He asks. His rough hands unexpectedly lift me up on the counter in the kitchen, the breath is knocked out of my body by how he is handling me with such delicacy and gentleness.

"Under the sink," I point my nervous finger in the direction and he doesn't waste a second. 

Grabbing the red kit, he finds a tweezer and a bandage. Offering him my hand I look away from it, he's quick to get to work as my mind is in overdrive. His gentle hands working on my wounds, how his broad frame is perched between my legs, the thought of how curious I am about his body, how his full lips would feel on mine. It's too much for me. I have wanted a taste of him before and that thought scares me, I can't allow myself to lose my mind over him. 

"I'm sorry, love," He suddenly says and I don't get to answer before a stinging sensation awakes me, I fly forward and pull my hand to my chest defensively. 

"That shit hurts!"

"I know, but I have to clean it properly. Will you let me?" He smiles, the green in his eyes is shining under his wet hair. My mouth runs dry by the sight and I place my hand in his bigger one without thinking. Trying to ignore the stinging to the best of my abilities, but fucking hell it hurts. 

"Here we go," He whispers to himself as he wraps my hand in a bandage, not too loose and not too tight, he must have done this before. 

"Thank you, Elijah," I gently say to him with a small smile, he still hasn't moved from his position and we are so dangerously close. My breasts are almost pressed against his chest and his hands land easily on either side of my thighs. Our eyes are searching for answers and the clenching in my gut returns when he licks his lips lightly, this can't be happening, but I really don't want to stop.