Numb

That Sunday, I stuck to my parents like glue. I knew if I had a moment alone, Alexander, no - the Prince would show up and want to talk. I didn't want to talk. I didn't want to think about last night. It was denial. Not really. I was wasn't emotionally or mentally prepared to deal with it.

I left my phone in my room. There was no point of carrying it around. I didn't have anyone who would call me or text me. Plus, I didn't need to hear it ringing constantly.

If my parents suspected anything, they didn't ask about it. They simply kept me busy by having them help gardening and doing chores. Eventually I knew I had to finish my school work and I wasn't looking forward to that.

After organizing the pantry, I went looking for my mom. I found her in her bedroom, looking through her closet. There was a pile of clothes on her bed.

"Hey, Mom. I'm done," I told her.

She motioned me over.

"What are you looking for?" I asked.

"Cleaning out my closet," she replied. "Want to help?"

I looked at the pile then back at her closet. It was going to be a long project.

"Sure. What do you want me to do?"

"I need you to fold all the clothes on the bed," Mom said. "I'll be dropping them off at the donation center tomorrow. If you want, we can look through your closet and see what you don't wear anymore."

"Yeah, that's fine."

I took my time folding the clothes. My brain wasn't really up for it but it was better than wallowing in self-pity. I had cried plenty last night but I wasn't going to spend anymore tears on the Prince. 

"It's not like that," he'd said.

 Yeah right. Marriage was marriage. What else was there? Either you're married or not. There's no in-between.

"Rin, honey. What's wrong?"

Turning away, I quickly wiped the tears away but it was already too late. My mom hurried to my side and pulled me into a hug.

"If you don't want to help," she began.

I shook my head. It wasn't that.

"Is this about Alex?" she asked. "What did he do? Your Dad and I can have a serious talk with him."

I sobbed harder into her shoulder. Why did she have to guess it on the first try? I was trying so hard not to think about him.

"Rin, tell me what's wrong."

"He's a bastard," I sobbed out.

Then, I told her everything. I told her the truth about "Alex" and everything since the contract had been nullified. I told her about Camellia and the deal I made to save the Prince. Even when the Prince and I started dating.

Everything.

Even about last night.

Mom let me sob into her shoulder. She didn't say anything for a long time. She held me and let me cry.

Eventually, the tears stopped. My nose was stuffed up and I could only breathe through my mouth.

"I broke up with him," I told her, sniffing.

Mom glanced behind me. Curious, I turned around and saw Dad by the doorway. I swallowed thickly. How long had he been standing there? How much had he heard?

I quickly wiped my eyes.

I still wasn't sure how he felt about vampires. Having him hear that I was dating one then got dumped wasn't going to help.