The Agreement

In the late hours of the night, I held Alexander to my chest. He'd shifted out of his kitten form - turns out I did enjoy cuddling with him as a kitten- and decided that I was going to be his pillow tonight. Unable to sleep, I ran my fingers through his hair.

Part of me wanted to believe Cassidy would successfully convincing her father to a treaty without marriage but the other part wasn't too sure. After all, he had exposed my relationship with Alexander and was probably responsible for people threatening me. I couldn't see King Caldor agreeing to anything. Alexander hadn't talked to his father either.

It takes time, I reminded myself.

I sighed, pressing my cheek against Alexander's head. If only there was something I could do to help. Maybe if I talked to the Kings . . . No, I would never get through the door. I could write them a letter. Or maybe Violet could help. I sighed again. She probably didn't want to interfere with this.

"Can't sleep?" Alexander muttered.

"Sorry," I said. "Didn't mean to wake you."

"I wasn't sleeping. Vampires don't sleep. The closest I can think of is meditating."

"Oh. Well, still. Sorry."

He nuzzled my neck. "I don't mind if you're the one keeping me up."

I closed my eyes. I needed to get some sleep. There was no use in overthinking.

Alexander nuzzled my neck again and I felt something brush against my skin.

"Alexander?" I began.

He pulled me closer and sucked the soft skin below my neck. I gasped in surprise. My face warmed.

"What are you doing?" I hissed, trying to squirm away.

He grinned at me. "A love bite," he said.

I glared at him. "Seriously? My parents-"

"Just wear a t-shirt," he said. "No one will see it." He shrugged. "I also thought you deserved a medal so this is the closest I can give you."

I shook my head. "At least do it where no one will have the possibility of seeing it," I huffed.

"Well," he said, propping himself on one arm. "I can arrange that."

He pulled my shirt up, exposing my tummy. My eyes widened.

"What are you doing?" I asked, trying to sit up.

He grinned at me. "Just a small one," he promised.

"Alexander Rothchester, don't you dare."

He froze for a second and pouted. "Okay," he said. "I won't."

I released the breath I'd been holding. Smiling to myself, I sat up and kissed his cheek.

"If you do that," I whispered. "I think I'll wake everyone up."

He pressed his forehead against mine. "Rin, you can be as loud as you want to be."

I blushed. "Maybe someday," I told him, "but not tonight."

He kissed my neck again. "I can't wait."

###

Alexander's POV

It took three days to talk to King Rothchester. And another three to set a date and time for the meeting with King Caldor. They would meet at the Palace and there be no other VIP around  It also meant he had little or no time with Rin.

I just need to fix this, he told himself. "Once this is over, we'll have all the time we want.

"Your Highness," came a voice from outside Alexander's study. "King Caldor and the Princess are arriving."