A Quiet Moment

After the interview ended, I said good-night to my parents. Somehow, I'd been able to sit through Alexander talking about our relationship. Thankfully, it was nothing embarrassing and my parents were asking questions about it. Alexander mostly talked about how patient and supportive I was with him with all his new responsibilities.

Then came the big question: what had I done during his arrest?

"Everything," he said. "She tried everything to get me out."

"Did she believe you from the start?"

"Yes. She did."

"Why?"

At this, Alexander had chuckled. "She told me the impostor wasn't obnoxious enough." He sighed and shrugged. "I had never hurt a human before so, it didn't make any sense to her that I'd start."

There was so much for than that but the truth was only reserved for a handful.

Once in my room, I spread out on my bed. I had to be crazy to oust myself to the world like this. Yet, somehow, it didn't feel so bad. I felt brave. I had finally done something for my relationship with Alexander. Well, ex-relationship anyways. Better late than never.

"It'll be okay," I whispered to myself. "I'm ready for this."

After what felt like a long time of silence, there was a knock on my window. I sat up and looked at my phone. It was half-past 12. Yawning, I switched on my lamp. Had I imagined it? Sleep pulled on my eyelids when I heard another knock. That could only be one person.

"Alexander?" I asked.

"Can I come in?" he asked.

For a moment, I panicked. Why was he here? We weren't seeing each other anymore. He couldn't drop in whenever he wanted. Then, I calmed down. Of course, he was here. I had just declared our relationship to the world.

"Yeah," I said. "Come in."

As an afterthought, I smoothed down my hair. I doubted it made much of a difference. Alexander appeared in my room almost seconds later. He was still in his interview suit. It wasn't fair that he looked so good. If I was his girlfriend, I would have taken a picture and framed it.

"Hey," he said. He stuffed his hands in his pockets.

My throat closed up. "Hey," I croaked out. "What are you doing here?"

"I needed to see you," he replied.

Alexander gave me a crooked grin.

"What?"

"I wish I could kiss you," he replied.

My face warmed. I looked away. He couldn't say that to me. It wasn't fair.

"I wish you could," I whispered.

The bed dipped beside me. I glanced at him from under my eyelashes. He looked ready to reach towards me but didn't.

"You can't say that to me, Rin."

My stomach did a flip. I'd set myself up for that one, didn't I?

"You didn't have to do that," he continued. "I was going to clear your name."

"I know," I said, meeting his gaze. "But, this time, I had to." I crossed my arms. "I thought I had stopped hiding but I guess I hadn't. It was time to take a big step."

Alexander's fingertips brushed my lips. "I'm proud of you."

I covered my face with both hands in embarrassment. My eyes teared up. How could he say that to me? There was nothing to be proud of.