Two Steps Ahead

Ares

I woke up with a pounding headache and a blurry vision. I picked up my phonr and immediately stood up when I saw the time.

I had to go pick up Serenity.

I saw the painkillers and the water on my nightstand and smiled, but then another thought came to my mind.

If she saw me drunk last night, what did I do? Did I say anything I shouldn't?

I quickly freshened up and got dressed before leaving the house. I was just on time but Serenity was nowhere to be found. I saw her friends leaving but she wasn't there. I instantly panicked and got out of the car to find her.

I decided to search around first and then go into the school, but she was nowhere to be found. Just when i was about to go into the school i saw her waiting outisde. I let oit a deep breath of relief and walked up to her.

"Where were you? I got worried" I told her.

"Sorry, the girls wanted to talk about something" She said with a weird smile.

Wait a minute.

"Are you sure? Because i saw the girls leaving about ten minutes ago" I raised an eyebrow and crossed my arms. Her demeanor instantly changed. She got panicked.

"Not these girls-"

"Serenity" I cupped her jaw with one og my hands and made her look at me. "What were you doing?" I asked trying to keep my calm.

Her lips stuck out and I felt mesmerized by her, but it wasnt the time to think about it. We would talk about last night later if not at all.

"I-I-" She was interrupted by an unfamiliar voice.

"She was talking to me. Any problem with that?" A girl, older than Serenity spoke. She wasn't a student here. She looked too old to be in high school but I also knew it because i made sure to know every student here for safety.

"And who are you?" I asked, but in reality I knew really well who she was. They thought they were one step ahead but they didn't know I was two steps ahead.

"A friend. Who are you?" She asked.

A friend huh

"Her guardian"

It pained me to say it. Especially remembering what I did. Maybe she was disgusted by me, maybe she didn't want me as her guardian anymore or maybe she even didn't feel safe with me. Just thinking about it made me want to punch myself.

"Now if you'll excuse us, we need to get home" I said and gently took Seren's hand and walked to my car.

I opened the door for her and then got into the car. She kept silent but the silence was awkward.

"How's your head?" She asked finally breaking the silence.

"It's okay"

It actually feels like someone is hitting it with a pan.

"I'm sorry Seren. I'm sorry for yesterday, I'm sorry for doing that without your consent, I'm sorry for getting drunk like an asshole and God knows what I did-"

I was interrupted by a giggle. Her giggle. It automatically made me smile.

"What's so funny?" I asked still smiling.

"You were really cute last night"

"I'm not cute" I said as I parked the car and got out. "I'm sexy" I smirked and opened the door helping her out.

"Yeah whatever you say" She giggled but her blush gave her out.

"I'm still sorry about the kiss" I said when we entered the house. "I'm your guardian, I shouldn't-" I trailed off running a hand through my hair and sighing.

"So you regret it?" she asked. I looked at her and saw she was looking at the floor fiddling with her fingers.

"No" I said and she immediately looked up at me. "I'd be lying if I said that, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I love you that way but I promise you that I'll try to hide it. Just please don't feel uncomfortable around me. I want us to be like before"

I was hoping she'd say yes even though a part of me wanted her to say that she loved me too but I pushed that thought away as I knew she wouldn't say that.

She smiled nodding and I finally hugged her.

"Do you have to go now?" She mumbled.

"Yes, baby, I'm sorry"

"It's okay" She pulled away and stood on her tip toes grabbing the collar of my shirt. I leaned down and she pressed her soft plump lips on my cheek lingering there for a few seconds. "Be careful please"

I snapped out of my trance and kissed her forehead before getting ready and leaving home. I had to go to the house now.

________

"What do you mean they were talking?" Nate asked.

"Did I stutter?" I groaned.

"Well you don't have to worry" Leo entered the room with a smile. "We have everything recorded"

"How?" I asked.

"Vincent. He saw Lisa sneaking out of their house and decided to follow her. When he saw them talking he started recording it and sent it to me so I could show you"

Maybe Vincent is a nice guy.

"Where is he?" I asked.

"Probably in the game room" Nate replied.

I strolled there and opened the door getting everyone's attention.

"Come with me now" I told Vincent once I saw him. He gulped and followed me to my office.

"What did I do now?"

I gripped his jaw and gave him a light slap.

"Maybe you're not so bad after all" I smirked. He was terrified. I liked that.

"Is that a bad or a good thing?"

"Show me what you recorded" I ordered. He took out his phone and I crossed my arms as I listened carefully.

"We need to talk"

That was Lisa's voice.

"Who are you?"

"Don't you recognize me?"

"No. Who are you?"

My girl sounded a little scary even to me. I taught her well.

"Ren, I'm Lisa!"

There was a pause.

"I'm sorry, you must have mistaken me for someone else"

Her voice was icy and stern.

"I know my sister Ren. I know you remember"

"Leave me alone. All of you. I'm happy without you"

The recording ended and I sighed.

"Ren left after that" Vincent said.

"Thank you Vincent. You have surprised me pleasantly just keep it up. It's very easy to make me want to get rid of you" I warned "Now leave"

"Yes sir" He smiled nodding and left. I called Nate and Leo to my office ans in a few minutes they were here.

"So that's solved. What else?" Nate asked.

"We need to find out who set me up that night when I was followed and shot"

"I'll try to look into it" Leo said and left the room.

"You know what my guess is" Nate murmured playing with pen.

"I know but we need to find out why. There must be a connection between the attack and Serenity family's appearance"

"I'll try to talk to Vincent and we'll see what Leo finds"