Part 2 - Back in Hogwarts ★

Being back at Hogwarts felt strange

Being back at Hogwarts felt strange. Usually, it was like coming home, where the old stone walls kept you warm even when they were so cold. But this time, having left your sick little sister behind and after practically selling your soul to the devil, you felt as if everyone already knew. Every time someone looked at you, underlying judgement was inherent in their gaze.

How could she do this? How could she agree to marry someone she didn't love? She probably did it for the money. Or for his reputation. Both perhaps.

No one had said anything to your face yet, but the nasty expressions they wore gave them away. Girls from year five had always greeted you, had looked up to you, trying to impress older students and wanting to be noticed. Now they didn't look you in the eyes, even though their stares bore holes into the back of your head and when they thought you were out of earshot, they would group up in the hallways and whisper to each other.

Camille Kegley was the only person you trusted enough to talk to. She was your best friend since your first year in Hogwarts and being with her had always been easy. She was a breath of fresh air - humble, fun and a loyal friend. A true Hufflepuff. So you had told her every little detail. How your sister got cursed, that the Gaunts visited, what they offered and what they asked for in return. Camille's mouth hung open by the end, but she understood.

"I would have done the same thing for my brother," she said. "I'm so sorry all of this happened though. If I can do anything to help you out, just let me know."

"Thank you. Really. The only thing I want right now is for everyone to stop looking at me like I murdered someone."

"You think they know already?"

"'I'm not sure," you sighed. "Seems like it."

"Have you told anybody?"

"Just you. And please. Don't tell anyone. I don't want Elsie to be the girl who's been cursed when she starts school next year and I won't be here to help her."

"I won't. Don't worry. But how would anyone know it then, by now?"

"I have a feeling the Gaunts want as many people to know as possible. To make it harder for me to back out."

"You think Tom-"

"No," you shook your head. "It seemed he was even more against it than I was. His grandfather, Marvolo. I think it's him who's eager for everyone to know."

"Wanker," Camille said.

"Tosser," you added.

"Merlin's saggy left bollock," Camille went one better and you both laughed. "And what about Tom?"

"What about him?"

"Well, if they're going through with the pact like you said, you're going to marry him. Do you like him at least? In any way?"