Part 8 - Slughorn's Party ★

Returning to Hogwarts after the Christmas holidays was far less stressful this time

Returning to Hogwarts after the Christmas holidays was far less stressful this time. Now that Elsie was better, it was much easier to concentrate on your studies. Maybe you could also focus on Tom. Both things seemed equally important somehow. And the fact that you could see Camille again added to the good things Hogwarts had to offer.

You were sitting on her bed in her dorm, telling her everything that had been going on during the last days. The Gaunts who had wanted to force you to do an unbreakable vow, their fight with Tom, that Tom had stayed for a bit, the book he had gifted you and everything in between.

"I can't believe you got him a snake," Camille laughed. "What do you think his family said about that?"

"I couldn't care less what they think of it. I hope they're mad at me."

"Do you think Tom got in trouble for it?"

"I don't think so. He knows how to stand his ground."

"And the book he gave you? Do you think that it means something? It's some sort of family heirloom after all."

Thinking about it, you lay down on your back next to her. "I'm not sure. Do you think that was some kind of secret message from him?"

"Maybe."

"I'll have to look into that." You rolled over to face her. "And what have you done these days? Tell me all about your presents."

"Well," Camille said with a smile. "The presents weren't the most exciting part of my holiday, to be honest."

"Let me guess. You met someone! A guy?"

The smile on her face widened. "I didn't meet him. I just kept in contact via owl."

"Oh, Merlin! Who is it? Someone from school?"

She nodded.

"Go on, tell me!"

Her expression suddenly changed.

"You have to promise not to be mad."

"Why would I be mad?"

"It's someone you don't exactly like," she said, a thick tone of guilt in her voice.

Then you knew.

"No. Don't. It is Ben Hilt, isn't it?"

She nodded slowly. "Yes."

"Oh, Camille," you sighed and needed a moment to sort out your thoughts. "Why?"

"He is a very charming boy."

"He's a year younger than you."

"So?" she giggled.

"He wanted to tell on me to the Ministry, so that I wouldn't be able to marry Tom. Sticks his nose in everybody's business."

"He just wanted to help. He thought you were forced to do it. And you have to admit he wasn't exactly wrong about that."