Part 7 - Gift Giving ★

"So this is the last part of the house," you said, after giving Tom a tour around the estate, arriving upstairs in the corridor leading to the bedrooms

"So this is the last part of the house," you said, after giving Tom a tour around the estate, arriving upstairs in the corridor leading to the bedrooms. "The guestroom is right at the end of the hallway. It has its own bathroom, which is a bit small. I hope you don't mind."

Tom shook his head as he peered towards the half-open door to the guestroom, that the house-elves were preparing for him.

"This right there is Elsie's room, next to it is the master bedroom. And this," you said, leaning onto a door. "Is my room."

Tom's eyes met yours.

"Want to come in?"

He nodded.

There was a sense of excitement in the air, letting Tom enter your room. It was something so private, it felt like you let him walk straight into your head. But it was the polite thing to do. Although he didn't seem too crushed from the argument he had had with his grandfather and uncle, it surely would make him feel better if he knew he was welcome here. He wouldn't want to be treated differently than usual, you knew, but a little empathy couldn't hurt.

"Take a seat if you like. Anywhere," you said, trying to hide the nerves that were making your fingertips tingle. Sitting down on the sofa next to the bookshelf, you folded your treacherous hands and watched him walk across the room. He glanced at your belongings, only in passing, one would think, if he weren't Tom Riddle. Surely he had made up his mind about every single thing he saw. Every book, each letter from Camille on the desk, and crumpled note in the bin. You should have cleaned. He stopped by the desk and picked up a framed picture of you and your family.

"Sorry about my mother," you mentioned when you noticed what he was inspecting.

"What do you mean?"

"She can be a bit brash, you know. When she asked you to stay earlier. But she usually means well."

"Oh." He set the picture back down. "I didn't mind actually. You know my family. They're brash. And not the good kind."

Absolutely not the good kind. "Is it always like that with them?"

"Since I can remember at least."

There was a moment of silence.

"I'm sorry," you then said.

"For what? That's just how it is. They have their ways and I have mine."

Right. He must be used to them by now. What a sad thought. "Did you know they would bring up the unbreakable vow?"

"No... I had no idea. They're idiots. Just stupid. Why ask for more each time? They always want to be a step ahead for nothing."

"What did you say to them?" you asked, hiding that you already knew.

"That I wouldn't do it. They took our word for it then and that should be enough. They can't force us to do a vow."

"How angry are they?"