i. explosions

"so are you going to elton's engagement party?" katrina asked her friend, leaning back in her chair and lowering her sunglasses.

the thought of attending elton and ginger's engagement party made harlow's stomach do flips - and not in a pleasant way.

she was happy for her brother and ginger. she loved her brother, and she loved ginger, and she loved the fact that they were in love with each other. but she didn't love the fact that she would be reunited with her old love after doing so well at avoiding him. she also didn't love the idea of her old love meeting her new love, all while at a party meant to celebrate the idea of love.

that situation was a little complicated.

it's not that carter didn't know about colby - harlow was sure to tell her boyfriend all about her ex when the time was right. but carter didn't know that colby would be going to elton's engagement party, that bit she had left out. it's not like she didn't have time to tell him either, she still had three days before the party, but every time she tried to let him know she felt a wave of nausea roll over her.

even after all their time apart, harlow still had a bitter taste in her mouth when she uttered colby's name.

"earth to harls," kat's voice broke through as she waved her hand around to try and get her friend's attention.

"sorry," harlow replied with a sheepish smile, "i'm going."

devyn nodded along, picking at her salad as she spoke, "yeah, you kinda have to go,"

harlow snorted, "sister of the groom and all,"

there was tension between the girls, and the root of the tension was obvious, but harlow would never be the first person to bring him up.

so she avoided the subject entirely. "i don't know, it should be fun, i think. free alcohol is always good,"

devyn lifted a fork full of salad to her mouth, shielding her mouth behind her hand as she spoke, "could get a bit messy too, no?"

harlow leaned back in her seat and lifted her sunglasses to rest on the top of her head. "or it could be just fine."

devyn shrugged, "colby'll be there,"

harlow let out a frustrated sigh, "i'm fully aware, dev."

"well, aren't you anxious to see him?"

of course, she was anxious to see colby, but she'd never admit it to her friends. she hasn't seen him for months, and she wasn't entirely sure how colby would react when he saw her again. it was complicated between them still, and that's the last thing it should be.

it wasn't usually complicated with an ex, but their actions made it complicated. although, she'd never admit that she sometimes looked at old pictures of the two, or that when she was alone in the car she'd play his favourite songs.

she wouldn't ever admit, even to herself, that she missed him because it would make her life all the more complicated. harlow loved carter, she was happy with him. she didn't think she could stomach the guilt she'd experience if she allowed herself to miss colby while she was in love with another man.

"not in the slightest," harlow replied, "he's just a guy i used to date,"

it was clear by the expression on devyn's face that she wanted to question her friend. all three girls knew that harlow was putting on a front because colby was much more than just a guy she used to date.

but before devyn had the chance to pick apart harlow's statement, katrina was speaking.

"is carter going?" kat asked, trying to alleviate some of the stress from the group.