8. TO YOU

" If it still makes you cry- it still matters. "

-

APRIL 11th
1917
The Second Battalion

-

WILLIAM CAME BY the next day. The sun was high up on the sky as Jo stood by her table, nervously fiddling with over sanitized medical applies. Baskets full of bandages and other cloths lying by her shuffling feet. In her hands were papers. Letters.

They had been demolished after being in her front pocket for too many days and though her greatest attempt; she couldn't get the blood and mud stains away. One in particular.

It wasn't much of a letter, but it was from her mother. She had received it a couple of weeks ago and it was enough for her to depend upon it.

Containing slight distant greetings from home and some more unimportant notes- she still clung on to every word. There was nothing about André, and although that fact was mostly given, she still chose to ignore that part.

She was far into her own thoughts when the sounds of steps in front of her disturbed the silence. She automatically looked up at Will's blue eyes- staring at him a little too long.

"William."

Everything about him was the same, even his uniform remained cluttered in the same stains as yesterday. As though he was regretting his decision to come there- his shoulders rose at her voice.

"Hello," the corner of his lips twitching as he spoke, quickly taking off his helmet and holding it tightly against his abdomen- leaving Jo slightly bewildered by his manners.

"Ça va?" she asked, her voice peaking slightly as she took a step forward. Fixing and flattening it out her apron casually.

"I'm... well," he answered and she nodded.

"Good."

He smiled to himself when her eyes left him. Watching as she picked up a small flask containing a copper-like liquid, as well as a cloth. He supposed it was alcohol and he had already begun unconsciously clenching his jaw in preparation.

He took his time, sitting down at the medical bed closest to him waiting. She turned around and walked to him, hesitating before carefully brushing away his hair and observing the small jack that had been hooked beneath his hairline. Her eyes left his skin and went to spill a small amount of the same liquid on the light cloth.

"This might sting."

Will looked up at her and nodded slightly.

It did sting. He felt his teeth grit even harder and lips pressed together. Like salt in a wound, yet not bad enough for him to say anything about it.

Jo let go of the cloth and let out a breath. She stared at William and he noticed her being still.

She knew she needed to say something. Something that actually meant something. It was not like they just met.

"I just thought that-," she stopped herself and pressed her lips tightly together, looking up to avoid those eyes of his, knowing that she would admit too much.