11. MAGNIFIQUE

" He changed... I guess pain does that to people. "

-

APRIL 3th
1917
Northern France

-

(Flashback nr 3)

JOSEPHINE WOKE UP early that morning. It was like she didn't need sleep anymore. She had gotten used to it a long time ago, though.

She put on her uniform and went on with her day. She didn't take much notice of the others and she didn't interact with any of the other nurses.

It was just another day.

That was at least until an officer approached her. She recognized his face. It was the same man that earlier had been looking at her days earlier. His dark eyebrows were knitted together, giving him a constant stern look.

Josephine didn't know how to handle his presence so all she could do was stand still and wait.

"Le Colonel Marcel veut vous parler." Colonel Marcel wants to talk to you. She was startled when actual words came out of his mouth, for some reason. The fact that he knew who she even was, was surprising enough.

She murmured an answer and followed the man to a nearby tent. In was one of those dark rooms, made out of the same brown, mud-filled bags that were piled upon each other, creating a sort of wall, separating the officers and commanders from the rest.

The ceiling was low and the number of people standing inside caused the already tiny room to feel even smaller.

In the middle, behind the front wooden table stood Colonel Marcel.

Jo had only seen him in person once before. It hadn't been truly in person, but she had seen him walking down the trenches before, his men by his side and a harsh look upon his face.

It was something about his presence that caused her to feel weird, nearly anxious.

He looked upon the nurse with his icy blue gaze, he leaned over to one of the fellow commanders to his side and whispered something to them with a low voice.

He turned towards her before opening his mouth. "Avair, c'est ça?" he asked her. Avair, right?

She nodded quickly, afraid to speak up in case she said something wrong.

"Depuis combien de temps êtes-vous ici?" he then asked. How long have you been here?

Jo let out a forced breath.
"Seulement quelques semaines, monsieur."
Only a few weeks, sir.

"Et êtes-vous en service spécial?" And are you on any special duty?

His question was weird to her. Duty? No.
"Non, monsieur." No, sir.

Her voice was quiet and became more silent as the eyes on her from the men around her were getting more and more. She swallowed sharply.

"Vous pouvez suivre l'officier Caron." Colonel Marcel nodded towards the tall man, standing next to her. You can follow Officer Caron.