30. A LETTER

" I lost it all, and for what? "

-

MAY 21th
1917
Paris, France
-

JO WAS PARANOID. That never ended well. Her feet were tapping against the wooden floor impatiently and her fingers were clutching onto themselves. Some things needed to be done, but she couldn't get herself to do any of it.

Still, when she sat there, just doing that; nothing, she couldn't be more uncomfortable.

Glancing over her shoulder, she would look at the people passing by. Their presence seemed so intimidating and she was somehow convinced that they weren't on her side anymore.

One moment she was running around the place, doing everything she could to perfect her duty, another she would be standing outside Julian's room, glancing around the corner and swinging back and forth on her worn-out heels.

She wasn't eating either. Knowing that the aching stomach wouldn't stop throughout the day, she still couldn't force herself to do anything about it. The feeling of being filled up became uncomfortable. Perhaps that was why she always ended up spitting it out when no one seemed to be looking.

And now, when her ribs were starting to show up on her slender upper body, she almost started to feel like she did that time in Écoust.

That was how the girl functioned.
And it was starting to tear down.

She wished she could sit down and listen to that singing voice once again. But Jo never heard it anymore.

Sometimes, she instead would close her eyes and replay those certain scenarios in her head. Humming the melodies to herself, even though she barely knew the tune.

The thing was, though, that every time she felt good, she thought it was going to last forever.

It didn't.

Not ever.

Even though it had happened countless times before, she always seemed to get so overwhelmed when the happiness was over.

How sad.

"As tu fini?" Jo's foot fell flat onto the wooden floor. She turned to look at a well put together nurse speaking to her.

Are you finished?

The young woman pointed towards Julian's room. In her hands was a bag, filled with things Jo had yet to see.

"Il a besoin de se reposer," she mumbled.
He needs to rest.

The nurse stared at her blankly.

"Ça peut attendre," she started, but was interpreted. It can wait.

And like that, she went past her, into the secluded area. Jo glanced at her around the corner, the ends of her mouth twitching slightly.

She tensed up once the nurse started, rather roughly, grabbing onto Julian's arm. And she nearly got closer to the scene just to beg her to be gentler to the young soldier, but something stopped her.