Chapter 1

Chapter 1 - Rose

"...and one grande, iced, sugar-free, vanilla latte with soy milk please."

"Sure thing Rose."

With a sigh, I try to mentally figure out how I'll get all these drinks in one piece back to the set. The actors and directors don't ever think twice about sending little old me all the way to Starbucks with a full-page list of coffee orders. Especially someone that shouldn't have to do this run as I'm not a PA.

It's a movie set, how the hell do they not have a Starbucks cart set up for the duration? It's not like they don't have the money to have their stars precious nectar at their beck and call twenty-four seven.

"Here, let me help you get these boxed up and into your car." The barista offers and I take the help willingly. 

With an average speed of five miles per hour, I head back to the set a couple miles away. I smile at the memory of the barista informing me that they can deliver to the set. She'd even do it for free if she got a glimpse of the actors up close and personal. Sadly, I don't think she'd make it past the gate, but I'm sure the studio will foot the bill to keep their actors remain caffeinated.

"ID."

"Seriously Rodney?" I grab my lanyard and lift it toward the window.

"Nah, I'm just messing with you." He laughs.

"You're lucky I like you," I say, pulling a coffee from they cup holder. "Here you go. Remember how sweet I am to you next time you want to give me a hard time." I smile and hand him his Americano.

"You're the best Rosie." 

Cringing, I look around to see if anyone's watching, then back to Rodney. "Shh, just Rose. You may have known me since I was in braces, but everyone in there knows me as Rose, the serious makeup artist."

He rolls his eyes. "Whatever you say. Be careful out there, I heard there have been several cases around here. I'd hate for you to get it with your asthma."

"It was only a matter of time. Make sure you and your kids stay safe. If you need any more sanitizer out here let me know." I reply. I'd hate to see him unknowingly bringing anything home that could affect his teenage kids.

Within the last week we've had our first case of the Corona Virus in the US and people are really starting to go crazy. I couldn't find a roll of toilet paper to save my life the other day let alone basic feminine care items. I don't really understand all the hysteria, but I rarely watch the news and usually get my updates from my dad. 

I drive through with a wave of my hand. I've been on movie sets since I was able to walk. Having a dad that's a big-time director would do that to you. From a young age I knew I wanted to get into makeup and here I am. On my dad's movie set doing makeup.

"Let me help you with those." Becca, a PA and close friend offers. 

"You're a lifesaver."

"I don't know why you can't use the word no. This isn't your job. Let one of the newbies do the coffee runs. You shouldn't be out in the public."

"I like to help where I can. We all have to support each other and I'm not needed for another hour."

"You're too sweet for your own good Rose. You know how many people would plow you over to get ahead? Or hide the fact that they're sick just to be here?" 

My lips tighten at the thought. "I'll have to talk to my dad and make sure there's some protocol in place. I'd hate for the film to get shut down. Rodney just told me there's some cases in the area."

"Some? Try hundreds." 

 "...hair and makeup to the trailers." Blares from my walkie and I move a little quicker to drop off the goods and get to where I'm needed after saying a quick goodbye to Becca. I'm not the only makeup artist on set, but I strive to be the best. Someday I'll get to do the big stars. For now, I have to settle for the extras and characters that'll eventually get cut in post-production.

Winding my way through the rows of trailers, I nearly get run down as a few PA's frantically sprint around like chickens with their heads cut off. Everyone's trying to prove themselves on the first day. I'm just thankful I go on the occasional coffee run rather than having that job for the extent of the movie. I have the choice to go, they do not.

"Hey sweetie." I stop in my tracks when I hear Dad from behind me. Then start walking, but stop when he calls out my name again. "Seriously Rose, you're going to ignore your old man?" 

Kill me now, I think once he starts yelling.

"My only daughter refuses to acknowledge me..." I run up to him and slam my hand over his mouth. I can't hide a smile when I see the playfulness in his eyes.

"Stop." I laugh. "Hi Dad. Happy?" 

He removes my hand. "Very. Is it too much to ask that you acknowledge me? The man who raised you. Do you know how many people here think I'm the bomb?"

"The bomb? Oh no. Don't ever say that again otherwise I can guarantee no one will ever think you're the bomb. You do remember what happened last time right? On the set of Fury?" 

Anger flashes over his face and no doubt he's thinking about one of the C level actors who tried to use me. Thankfully, he wasn't my type and didn't go past the second date. I knew something was up when he talked about my dad nonstop. This isn't my first rodeo. I've been around a set or dozen over the years working.

"Alright, alright. I'll respect your space and let you work. We're going to be tightening up security around here. I need you to be my ears behind the scenes, okay?"

"Sure. You think it's going to be that serious?"

"It already is, hunny. Stay safe." 

My eyes wander and land on a beautiful hue of indigo ten feet away. The man eyes me as Dad kisses my forehead and pushes me in the direction I was headed before he distracted me. Right towards Kash Kerrick. 

Yup, that would be the Hollywood heart throb Kash Kerrick. 

I give him a quick, nervous smile because well, I've seen all his movies. I knew I'd eventually run into him on set and I could have never predicted how I'd react. God, his large frame towers over me and he's enveloped in a cloud of cologne I wish I could bathe in as I get closer. Seriously, he smells sensational and I find my heart rate accelerating the closer I get. 

I'm about to try speaking in his presence when a shove comes from my right and the next thing I know, my coffee is dripping down Kash's stomach.

"Jesus Christ." He growls,looking down at me then towards the person who bumped into me.

"I'm so sorry, it was an accident."

He stares a second longer before a man approaches him. 

"Shit, you're needed on in two minutes. Let's change you up." They hurry away as Kash continues pulling the sopping wet, probably still scorching hot fabric from his skin. With one last look at me, I can tell he's pissed as hell. 

"God I'm sweating," I state frantically, finding my friend Ozzy setting up his hair brushes accompanied by numerous shades of hair extensions.

"Did you see Kash too?" He fans himself. "Who do I have to screw to touch his hair?" We both burst out laughing.

"Oh, I did more than see him," I say, frazzled. "He..." 

"Is intense, yummy, edible," Oz finishes for me.

"Yeah, not what I was going to say." I smack my palm to my forehead then explain what happened outside. 

"So, he's another asshole actor. Might be smart to stay away from him with hot beverages for the next month?"

I nod my head remembering the anger in Kash's eyes. It definitely doesn't have me eager for a reunion anytime soon.