Chapter 3

Chapter 3 – Rose

"Not happening, Dad."

I watched my father's lips tighten into a grimace. Over the years I had witnessed many people wither under the glare he was aiming my way, but I was a pro when it came to dealing with Donald Masterson.

"Now listen Rosie..." he began, only to roll his eyes when I frantically hushed him and looked around to make sure no one had heard his slip.

"Oh my god, how many times do I have to beg you to call me Rose at work? Have you forgotten to take your 'old man forgetful' pills again, huh?"

The corners of his mouth lifted against his will and I gave myself a mental fist bump. If I kept this up, he would forget the reason he was here, then I can just sneak off and...

"Nice try. I'm serious Rose," he rubbed a palm over his forehead, and I sagged at the realization I was on borrowed time.

Didn't matter much what I said right now, friends and families, bosses and workers all over country, the planet even, were having this very same conversation. The world was starting to spin on its axis, the human race facing war on something it couldn't even see.

My dad's words, not mine.

Over the last week, we had been steadily losing staff as they began to show symptoms of the Coronavirus and had to isolate themselves at home. Not that we had any confirmed cases, but the studio had always been savvy about putting the health and safety of its workers first. It was something I had always admired about the way my dad's company was run, but right now it was working against me.

Because according to the man that created me, I was high risk because of my asthma and shouldn't be here. Ok, so not just according to him but he was the only one standing in front of me trying to make me go home right now.

"Listen," I began, leading him over to one of the plush sofa's in the makeup trailer and forcing him to sit down. "I know what you're saying, and I'm not stupid Dad. I know if it gets much worse, I won't have any choice but to stay away. But face it, we're falling behind schedule with all the people out sick. If we can just push through, maybe we can get the last scenes done."

He narrowed his eyes before closing them. "It's just not worth the risk, Rosie."

For once, I didn't moan at the use of my childhood nickname. Genuine worry, not just for me but for all the employees was etched onto his handsome face.

"Ok, I'll finish out today, then I'll stay at home. That ok?"

His face softened with relief but before he could reply, his cell chimed, breaking the moment and I watched in fascination as he turned back into the big shot director that everyone loved and feared.

Tuning out to let him deal with whatever crisis was happening next, I set about grabbing my case of tricks, wistfully wondering when I would get my chance on some of the big names. Someday I mused, drifting off into my usual go to daydream of working on one of the greats....

So happy in my little bubble, I jumped when he came up behind me and landed a solid hand on my shoulder.

"Looks like you're gonna get your wish love."

He didn't give me time to think what that could mean, just told me to be at trailer 7 in five minutes before he waltzed out the door, phone pressed to his ear and orders being barked at whoever got the call.

Trailer 7?

No, he couldn't possibly want me there.

Could he?

Trailer 7 was the equivalent of the hot table all the cool kids sat on at lunch in high school. It was where the best effects and the most high-end products were kept...but most importantly, it was where all the A-List actors went to get their makeup done.

"Oh my god!" The shock wore off and I gave a happy little squeal. This was it, I was getting my moment. Grabbing my case, I flew down the steps of my trailer and hurried across the busy lot, a ridiculously huge smile on my face the whole way.

The door swung open before I could reach it, Ozzy practically bouncing in the doorway. "Girl! Did you hear? Marianne has called in sick, says she has symptoms but I'm telling you now, she looked just fine in that TikTok she posted at 3am this morning from the bar..."

Gasping, I climbed the steps and dropped my case onto the workbench. "You're kidding, is that who I'm here to replace?"

He smiled mischievously. "You know it. I'd feel bad if I thought for one minute she was actually ill but let's face it...she's using the virus as a get-out-work-free card for a hangover, even mentioned doing it to one of the girls. She won't feel so clever when she realizes she can't leave her house for fourteen days."

Shocked, I started to unpack my things. "That's disgusting, I can't believe she would do something like that."

He twirled around, collecting up his brushes and sprays and shoving them haphazardly into his bag. "She won't be the only one baby-cakes, people can be ruthless. But hey, it's worked in your favor and that's all I care about. You deserve it."

Smiling, I looked around for the day's schedule, frowning when I couldn't see it pinned anywhere.

"So, who am I working on today? It's the survival scene from the fire, right?"

With a wink he threw his bag over his shoulder and pushed the door open. "Well I could tell you...."

He gave a nod out into the lot and with a little unease, I poked my head out.

"Oh shit," I whispered, eyes widening and a sick feeling creeping up my chest.

There, striding towards me looking like a Greek god in all his glory, was one pissed off looking Kash Kerrick.