Chapter 3

I have lost count of the days since the downfall of the clan and with every passing sunrise and sunset my hope in caring for the cub's long term dwindles. We may need to find a clan of our own somewhere else. I have also heard rumours of rogue packs. Rogue packs are packs of mismatched animals, they do not stick to one species. I have never seen one of these packs and I doubt my elders would have agreed to their ways, but I don't really mind. I think it would be nice to be around others. I'm losing my mind with only cackling at the cubs for conversation. I'm not a talkative person but this is draining.

We are still in the den I found several days ago because the cubs were liking it and the predator scent has never come back. Due to the high number of shifters I suspect are in this area though there is always kill around which is in the best interest for us because as I have said I cannot hunt yet and we still need to feed.

I do not know how I would go about finding these secret rogue packs and I don't even know if there are any in these grasslands of where I live but I must try my best, for the cubs. I have become very maternal and care deeply for my children. If by some miracle I have a mate I will have to explain this cautiously. It is common on the grasslands for if a birth giver has had cubs before meeting their mate that said mate can kill the cubs to make their own and have the strongest chance of keeping on their lineage.

We have started venturing out during the late day now because the young ones sleeping schedule needs to be better than what I am giving. Zar has begun calling me mum through our small clan link and it warms my heart. The two smaller ones have also followed suit and have said their first word as mamma, through the clan link, directed at me. I may or may not have shed a tear that day.

I'm brought out of my thoughts as a fuzzy butt has jumped right on my muzzle. The youngest of our group are beginning to reach their first shift stage and are going to shift to humans very soon, within the next few days. I will need to coach them through that as the first few are very painful. But for right now they are overly playful little hyenas in need of attention.

We are about to head out on our twice daily run for water and see if we can find some type of food. I will have to learn new skills if I expect this to last. I do a headcount before and after every trip I am yet to lose anyone so one point to me.

I gather everyone and we leave the den in a small group. We head north the way of the water hole and it's now just before dusk, maybe an hour or so, we should be safe. We did have a run in with a snake in the den upon one of our returns, but I was able to somehow scare it away with my cackles and running at it. It was a small one, but it still felt good to protect my family.

We aren't far from the waterhole when I freeze and so do the pups. There was another group there. A group we have never run into. A small herd of antelope were grazing around the lush greenery of the water and drinking but that wasn't the concern, what was the tan frame slowly stalking them from behind. I slowly start to back away my heels making little to no noise on the grass below me. The cubs are now completely under me squished together. I crouch low over them still backing away small nervous cackles bubbling from my throat. That is until however the antelopes begin to dart in our very direction and all I can do is lay completely over the cubs until the running has stopped. My back is clipped by hooves and I can feel some blood but what matters is the cub's safety. I slowly start to remove myself from smothering the smaller hyenas after I can hear the antelope are further away. They were regular antelope. I couldn't smell a shifter in that herd. The smell was coming from a large tan lion growling in front of me though. I cackled anxiously in its direction. It roared, starting to pace in front of me. The cubs were whining in fear and stayed underneath my fuzzy stomach.

The lion shifted in front of me and looked down at me in all of his apparent glory. His eyes still showed that of his animal, his claws still out.

"Shift mutt." His deep voice growled at me.