7

It was different today

Lumi sat quietly in the library, her whole body slumped into the seat that had been provided to her.

The guards had to fight from smiling at the sight of her.

The King sat at a desk in the library, focused on his work. The princess, however, stared longingly out the window, looking at the snow, before looking to the King, and then back to the snow. She had done this several times until she had been reduced to the state she was now in.

She slumped in her chair, slipping lower and lower before rising back up and repeating the process.

If they had not been watching her for the past weeks, they would have been shocked at how openly she sulked. Now they were used to her open display of emotion.

Lumi sighed.

The King seemed to stiffen but continued in his work.

Marcos was already smiling. He and Felix had a running bet on how long this would last. With that first sigh from the Princess, he should have changed the variable from passing time, into the number of exhales she let out.

Another sigh left the princess.

The guards watched as the King's grip upon his pen tightened.

Marcos still wasn't sure if she was doing this intentionally or not.

With that thought, another, deeper sigh left Lumi.

The King snapped.

"I need to go outside."

Lumi sat straight up in her chair. She didn't say a word, but all guards in the room had to look away to hide their expressions.

King Theros seemed to have an internal debate in his head before he turned to the princess and said, "Get up."

It was spoken very harshly, but Lumi didn't seem to notice at all as she stood and wrapped her red cloak securely around her.

The King walked to the door, allowing the guards to open it and proceed ahead of him.

The King's shadow stayed behind his lips in a tight frown.

Lumi watched him curiously before quickly following the King.

This was a new part of the palace, a place she had never seen or been to.

The guards ahead led the way into an open-spaced garden. It was wide and vast, stretching on beyond them. Lumi heard herself gasp as she took in the winter garden display.

The King did not turn around. He only continued walking, his breath visible in the cold air.

Lumi gathered up her courage, before speaking to him, "I didn't know flowers could grow here."