12

Lumi looked at the deep green dress she wore

Lumi looked at the deep green dress she wore. It was too conservative for her liking. There were layers of the dark material, and then another layer of a sheer silk fabric going over the bottom of it.

"I don't like this one Macy," Lumi turned in the mirror, looking down at the floor-length gown and scowling at it.

"And there are buttons..."

Macy paused in her cleaning to stare at the princess. She wondered what Lumi had against buttons. That was the third time she had made the comment.

The dress reminded Macy of a military uniform with a feminine spin. Out of all of Lumi's dresses, this one was her favorite, but she wouldn't tell the princess that.

"It makes you look....regal..." Macy wondered if that would be a good enough word. Sometimes she didn't think regal was the description Lumi wanted to fit.

But Lumi still smiled and turned to her, putting her hands on her hips and nodding in approval.

"I think you're right. It reminds me of the guard's uniform. Only with a skirt. And it's not dark blue or silver but...green is still nice."

Lumi suddenly asked Macy, "Did you check on the little boy?"

Macy nodded, "He's doing well."

At first, Macy had been frantic to hear that Lumi had fallen in a pond. She was unsurprised but still worried. Then the heroic tale of how Lumi had not actually fallen in a pond but jumped headfirst to save a little boy had started to circulate around the castle.

Lumi had asked Macy to find the gardener and son, and make sure both were doing okay. Macy wondered if the gardener's tale was maybe exaggerated, but he certainly was grateful to the summer princess.

It made Macy wonder if anyone had bothered to tell the princess that even a grown man found it hard to swim in the icy waters- the sudden cold would often seize into his chest and make his limbs unmovable.

Though Macy suspected this was not the case. She had a feeling the guards had learned better, and if they told her of this more than heroic- actually inhuman deed- she might boast about it until their ears fell off.

So Macy kept quiet, smiling and looking at Princess Lumi with a mixture of awe and respect that the majority of the workers in the palace were now feeling.

*   *   *

It was very unexpected.

Lumi was sitting on her stool at the bottom of the throne, messing with the golden buttons on her dress.

She hated buttons. But maybe Macy was right and it did add some regality to her appearance. She didn't want to let go of the jewelry she loved to wear, but the disapproving look from Macy, and something about how it clashed too much, made Lumi give a deep sigh at the loss of her earrings.