Returning Owls

Albus sat in the Great Hall next to Liam Finnigan as usual, stuffing his face eggs and toast. Shortly, the sound of flapping wings distracted him, and he looked up as the returning owls began dropping letters and packages into their owners' laps. A letter dropped in front of most of the Gryffindors seated at the table, including Albus and Liam. He turned the envelope over to see that the letter was addressed from his dad. For a second, he thought about waiting to open the letter until he was back in the common room, but what if his father had finally decided to tell Albus the truth about why he was famous? Curiosity overcame him as he ripped the envelope open to read the letter.

Dear Albus,

I'm glad to hear things are going well at Hogwarts. Ginny and I were so proud of you when we heard you got sorted into Gryffindor (although any of the other houses would have been fine, of course). Lily was overjoyed! Did you have your first flying lesson yet? If so, how did it go? And, to answer your question, I am famous, and I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I defeated the dark wizard Lord Voldemort, like your chocolate frog card read. Your mother and I have been debating for years when the best time would be to tell you what we did to become so famous in the wizarding world. We both agreed the later you found out, the better. All we wanted was for you to live as ordinary a life as possible, for as long as you could. I never had that chance growing up, since before my first birthday, my name was known by the entire wizarding world. Fame was thrust upon me before I knew what it was I was famous for. My lightning scar is the result of the killing curse Voldemort cast upon me as a baby, the same curse that sent him into a miserable, helpless state for years before he returned to power. I promise I'll explain everything better as soon as I see you in person, I'm starting to think I made the wrong decision in telling you nothing. Ginny and I just wanted to protect you. Initially, we decided we would tell you the Christmas before you would be leaving for Hogwarts, so that you wouldn't leave home clueless of what we had done. As the days before you left grew fewer, we knew we had to tell you soon. However, on Christmas morning, Ginny suggested that maybe we should let you discover our past, along with everything else at Hogwarts, on your own. I still thought that I should tell you in person, but I agreed to wait a little longer to tell you. Days flew by as we shopped in Diagon Alley for everything on your list, packed suitcase, and finally, got you ready to leave. Before we knew it, you were on Hogwarts Express, and I knew it was too late. Anyway, at that point, I had decided that Ginny was probably right in letting you discover everything on your own. Albus, all I can say now is that I'm sorry you never got to hear my story in person. Besides, I know that Ron and Hermione decided to not tell Rose, either. Perhaps you two can do some research together. Oh, who am I kidding? if she's anything like Hermione, she probably already has. Maybe she can tell you what she's found, then. Like I said before, I'll be more than happy to recount everything to you in person over Christmas Break. It's the least I can do. Until then, best of luck at school. I'll see you soon.

Love,

Dad

Albus had read through the letter twice already, but was still shocked at what his father had said. This explained a lot, Albus thought. It also explained why Rose had been spending so much time in the library lately, or maybe that was normal for her, who knows. By now, almost everyone had finished their breakfast, and Liam had left the table minutes ago. Albus checked the time, and realized he had better head to his first class now if he didn't want to be late. He made sure to talk to Rose about the letter in Charms, but didn't mention anything to Scorpius since he was sure his friend had already heard his family's version of the story many times. Rose and Albus had arranged to meet in the library that night after dinner to do some research as his father had suggested. Although Rose had already done a fair bit of research, as his father had predicted, she was eager to learn more. As the day drew to a close, Rose and Albus had learned so much about their parents that they never would have guessed could be true. His admiration for not only his Dad, but his Mum as well, only grew greater. Albus fell asleep late that night in his dormitory, for he had stayed up thinking about his parents for a long time.