A Trip to the Headmistress

"We need to tell someone. I say we go to McGonnagall," Rose stated matter-of-factly. Albus and Scorpius had just finished filling Rose in on the news between classes. Albus looked hesitant, but Scorpius nodded his head in agreement.

"If anyone can help us, she can. It's like Rose said, we should've went to her before instead of heading into the Forbidden Forest alone," Scorpius pointed out. Albus still looked uncertain but didn't protest. "What are we waiting for, then. Let's go!" With that, the trio headed off to the Headmistresses's office. When they arrived at the gargoyle that marked the entrance to the office, none of them were quite sure how to enter. Albus remembered his dad saying something about a password once, but seeing as none of them knew what it was, that wasn't very helpful to them now. Just as they were about to turn around and search for the headmistress elsewhere in the castle, they saw her striding toward them waving her wand at Peeves the Poltergeist.

"If you flood the trophy room one more time, Peeves... I mean it, I've had it!" The poltergeist cackled and shot in the opposite direction, undoubtedly on his way to cause more trouble. Professor McGonnagall noticed the three of them standing at the entrance to her office only when she was right in front of them. "Oh! What are you three doing here?" She narrowed her eyes suspiciously, seemingly bewildered by the odd combination of students. Her eyes landed on Scorpius last and she frowned. "Can I help you with something?"

"Actually, Professor, that's why we came to you. There's something we need to tell you and we think you can help us," stated Albus.

"Very well, come in. Phoenix," she mumbled to the gargoyle, which slid aside to reveal a grand spiral staircase. The four of them climbed the stairs and entered through the door at the top. Rose gasped.

"Professor, you office is beautiful!" she exclaimed. There were all sorts of ornate decorations and curious magical objections distributed neatly throughout the room. Perhaps most interesting of everything there were the numerous portraits of what Albus assumed were previous headmasters. He spotted Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape on the wall above the desk, both men he was named after. They were deeply asleep, or so it appeared.

"Thank you, Rose. Now, what is it you need to tell me?" McGonnagall inquired. The three students exchanged glances, not quite sure how to begin. It was Scorpius that spoke first.

"Professor, a group of Slytherin boys is planning to kill me, the same group that left Albus in the forest. Albus's brother overheard them talking in the hall..." he continued to explain, leaving out the bit about the dead owl and the letters. When he finished, and looked up at the headmistress. Her expression was unclear, as if she wasn't sure whether or not to believe him. Finally, she spoke.

"If what you say is true, Malfoy, then rest assured that while you are at Hogwarts you are safe from harm. Nothing will happen to you inside the walls of this castle."

"But that's mad, Professor!" Albus interjected. "These boys have hurt him before, and you know what they've done to me. You've got to do something!"

"That was in the Forbidden Forest, not the castle."

"But—" started Rose.

"Please don't interrupt me. Have you even got any proof of this plan? I highly suspect this is a joke your brother James is playing on the three of you," she said, turning to Albus. "You know as well as I do that he never passes up an opportunity for a good laugh. This is probably his idea of a funny prank."

"Please, Professor, it's not like that. James wouldn't joke about something this serious," insisted Rose.

"She's right," Albus insisted. "My brother's telling the truth." The headmistress merely smiled at them.

"That's what you think. You'd be surprised at what your brother is capable of, Potter. Just like your father and grandfather, he's one of a kind. Now, I suggest you three head to your next class. I've got a class of my own to teach and I'd like to be on time." She turned and opened the door for them. Recognizing it was time to leave, Scorpius headed to the door, followed by Rose. But Albus remained put.

"You've got to listen to us, Professor. I know you're accustomed to students pranking other students and misbehaving just for the fun of it, but this is serious! I'm sorry, but I think you're being unreasonable." Albus knew immediately that he had gone too far.

"Last I checked, I was the headmistress and you were the student, Mr. Potter. It would be wise for you to leave now." Albus obeyed without another word, and the three of them swept down the staircase and back into the corridor.

"Unbelievable!" exclaimed Albus, shaking his head. "And I thought she was alright!

"I'm disappointed too, but all this means is we'll have to figure something else out. It'll be alright," Rose said, glancing at Scorpius. He nodded, indicating he had heard her, but didn't say anything else. "I'd say our best bet is leaving the castle before the last day," she continued. "Maybe one of our parents can meet us in Hogsmeade and apparate back home with us, since no one can apparate inside Hogwarts grounds." Albus nodded.

"That could work. I'm sure my dad would be happy to meet us there. You alright, Scorp?" he asked concernedly, since his friend usually wasn't so silent.

"Did you see how she looked at me?" he responded dully. "I wonder, if it was you or Rose in danger, would she have reacted differently? I bet she didn't even believe me," he muttered. Neither Rose nor Albus knew what to say, for they had both noticed the cold way in which Professor Mcgonnagall had regarded Scorpius. Albus thought about the war that had taken place at Hogwarts, and how Scorpius's dad had surely fought alongside the death eaters, attempting to bring down his own father. He wished the headmistress understood that Scorpius was different. Besides, Draco Malfoy had long since abandoned his former ways, and Albus doubted he had ever even wanted to be a death eater in the first place. Rose spoke, jerking him back to the present.

"You're right, Scorpius, she was being cold towards you. But I'm sure it's only because she's tired of students playing pranks on her. She would have reacted the same if it had been me or Albus," she assured him, although she didn't seem entirely convinced.

"If you say so..." Scorpius sighed, clearly still annoyed. Albus couldn't blame him, his friend faced constant judgement from other students as well, not just Professor McGonnagall. And it was all because he was a Slytherin, a Malfoy. Even Rose was determined to dislike him at first, he remembered sadly. "I've got to go to class, I'll catch you guys later."

"See you," Albus mumbled distractedly. Rose said goodbye to them as well, rushing off to her next class. Albus had Herbology with the Hufflepuffs, and knew he was going to be late. He wasn't in the mood for class, as he was still angered at McGonnagall and frustrated at the way people treated Scorpius. He considered skipping class for a moment, but ultimately decided against it, and lumbered off towards the greenhouses in a bad mood.