The Coven of the Brooklyn Witches

Fifi screams and the sound pierces my being. Damian also screams, but those are words I fail to understand.

"Why so scared, Bradley?" Shark Teeth coos. "Devil got your tongue as well as your soul?"

In a flurry of tiny red feet, Butch throws himself out of the safety of Fifi's purse and scurries across the ground to our assailants, pudgy fists up and ready for murder. Before he can do any damage, Shark Teeth grabs his tail and yanks him off the ground.

Carolyn, we have to move.

"Aw, you got yourself a little sidekick. Maybe I should cut him up and make an example. Show you what will happen to you and your girlfriend if you don't tell me what I need to know."

He takes a dagger out, very similar to the one I'm carrying, and brings it closer to the demon's struggling form. It's amazing how much he can move and wave his tiny fists around while hanging in midair. And all of a sudden, he pulls himself up by... maybe his tail muscles? Anyway, pulls himself up and sinks his needle-like fangs into the soul hunter's glove.

"Ouch!" 

Shark Teeth drops him and Butch runs for dear life under a nearby bush. That little guy is so brave, my heart fills with warmth and admiration.

"No matter, we'll cut your girlfriend then."

Fifi's shriek intensifies and my muscles unclench. No one is touching Fifi, and no one is bullying my tiny demon sidekick!

Now we're talking!

I hop off the motorcycle and pull out my dagger, lowering into a crouch. The smile slips off Shark Tooth's face. Behind me, I can tell his companion is getting ready to assault me, his footsteps bumping on the uneven sidewalk. Not sure how I can hear it over Fifi's screams, but I can.

I'll explain later. Now--

I take my helmet off and hurl it at Shark Teeth. It only phases him for one second, but it's enough for me to charge forward and plunge the dagger into his leather jacket, right above his heart, because I don't actually plan on killing anybody. Just wounding so that we can get away. He stares at me, his ungodly eyes wide, then grins. It makes his scar scrunch in a totally evil way.

With a twists, he pulls away, taking half of the blade with him. I stare at it. What the hell? Who made this? I'm totally filing a complaint.

If you'd just listen! That's for demons. It's crap against humans. You have a--

Gun, got it! I search my belt, but there's no holster, which I should totally know by now, but at this point I'm not above believing that things can magically appear.

You don't have a gun on you!

Behind me, Fifi grunts and I hear the heavy cursing of the other hunter. I lower myself into a crouch again and kick Shark Teeth's motorcycle from under him. This propels him a few feet away traps him under the vehicle. I love my super strength.

I take the time to turn to Fifi, but she's totally macing that other guy in the face, all the while screaming like death's got her. Which is not very far from the truth. Unfortunately this also invites a massive amount of pepper spray into her own airways.

"What the hell?"

I turn back to Shark Teeth who's trying to fight off the bush branch Butch is clobbering him with. For a moment, my brain freezes. Wow, these guys aren't too efective.

We don't actually do much fighting. We steal souls, not kill people.

This is ridiculous. "Fifi, toss me your purse," I call.