The prisoner

Frodo and the other Hobbits gathered the next day in the living room at teatime, and, as the day before, Frodo began to tell what had happened to him. Words seemed to come easily to him, like the flow of a dam that breaks after containing a sleeping lake for too long.

'Before I took the path of Cirith Ungol again, I ventured near the tower and into the rubble. I had to find, if I could, something to fill Shagrat's bag. I found the same black bread, a bundle of dried meat which, to this day, I dare not wonder what kind it was, and managed to reach the well where I could fill my flask and a gourd which I picked up there and that still contained a bit of sticky liquor. I think I rested under a boulder for at least a whole day to regain my strength before reaching Shelob's tunnel. I was still terrified to face the monster, and all I had was Shagrat's knife and my mithril shirt to protect me — and it had failed me the first time! So I took my time to return to the cursed place, taking small steps and listening for the slightest noise that might indicate danger.
When I finally got there — I don't know how to tell you this without making you all sick! Many stones had fallen down in front of the entrance, which had been the way out for Sam and me, if you remember. Some huge boulders had fallen down and an unbearable smell emanated from there. It was still dark, so I did not immediately find out where it came from. It was only when I got closer that I understood: the stones that had come loose from the mountain had crushed Shelob! She was lying there, her legs curled up under her, her abdomen pierced by the rock and letting out a stream of black, foul-smelling blood. I remember throwing up, once more.
But I was relieved that the dreaded monster would not come to harm me as I crossed her lair, and I was now quite sure that I would not meet any orcs. I still had to find a way to get into the tunnel; the entrance was blocked by the stones and rocks that had collapsed when the earth had shaken.'

The Hobbits listening to Frodo were holding their breath. Sam, who had fought the giant spider and could see what it looked like, could only imagine how Frodo must have felt when he saw that this terrible creature had perished in such a trivial way. He was glad, however, that Frodo had been ridden of the dreaded obstacle; the thought that he would have had to face Shelob again had filled him with terror.

Frodo, sitting very close to Sam in a cozy loveseat, took a sip of his tea before continuing.

'Once I had spotted a way through, I managed to sneak into the cave without too much difficulty. I don't know if minutes or hours had passed as I groped around in the dark, but I remember the terrifying roar of the rocks when the earth shook again, very slightly. And I knew, then, because the air suddenly changed, that the passage was closed.'

Pippin let out a shocked exclamation.

'Closed... on both sides?' he asked, and squeezed Merry's hand so hard that his cousin winced.

'I wasn't sure, but I felt it must be so, yes.'

'And was it really?' Merry asked.

'Yes, it was. I don't know how long it took me to cross the maze of stones: it was completely dark, and only my instinct guided me to what I thought was the way out. But when I finally breathed a trickle of fresh air, so faint that I thought I was dreaming it, there was no more doubt. Everywhere I touched, my hands could only find fallen rocks and stones. I tried to climb the rubble, thinking that the way out would be just on the other side, but when I got to the top I hit my head on the ceiling of the cave! I tumbled all the way down and, as I continued my blind exploration, I realised that I was a prisoner.'

Sam shivered and wrapped his arm a little tighter around Frodo.

'I thought I was going crazy. I couldn't see anything, nothing at all. I had to get out. I couldn't be stuck there, not after all I'd done. I thought of you, Sam, and I wept, thinking how you'd grieve if I had to die in that sordid tomb. I wanted to live, to see the Shire and all of Middle-earth now rid of evil! But I felt condemned to end my days away from all my loved ones, in this darkness and stench.
But then I got myself together: this scree was new, perhaps I could, with patience, clear it up. So I ate some bread, took a sip of water, and set to work. I don't remember exactly how the days went by, I relied on my sense of smell to determine in which direction to dig, which stone to move to clear a passage. I was exhausted at first, driven by urgency and terror. Soon, my food and water supplies ran out. I had to leave this part of the cave in search of water and food. When I could not find a spring, I decided to lick the walls of the cave where water drops were slowly flowing downing. This way, I could fill my flask, but it was a very slow business, and I had to leave it in place for several days for it to be full. In the meantime, I slept a lot.'