The travellers

The small group set out three days later, in a wagon pulled by a sturdy pony for Frodo and Sam, while Merry and Pippin rode their ponies. The wagon, loaded with food and the Hobbits' traveling gear, was quite comfortable. Sam led the animal as Frodo huddled against him and looked at the landscape, enjoying the rolling green hills and glistening streams in the distance. His mind hadn't been so peaceful when he had traveled through these lands in the cage of these kidnappers. Often, along the way, Merry or Pippin would bring their pony next to him and they would talk of their own adventures, reminisce about some common memory or sing songs. Sometimes Sam would join his beautiful deep voice with theirs and Frodo marvelled at hearing him. At night, they would settle their small camp and Merry and Pippin would set up their bedrolls under the shelter of the trees while Sam and Frodo shared the wagon. On rainy nights, the four Hobbits huddled together in this shelter, but Merry and Pippin had agreed to leave this comfort to Frodo, to give the two Hobbits some privacy. In fact, Frodo and Sam didn't really take advantage of this luxury, content to share a few kisses and keeping the rest for the comfort of inns. This was true for example in Bree, where the Hobbits stopped at the Prancing Pony, delighted to pay a little visit to good old Mr. Butterbur.

After that, they followed the road south. They sometimes met other travellers, but were never hindered or threatened by anyone, and Frodo realised how much had changed since the Ring had been destroyed. He was always afraid of running into a company of entertainers like those who had captured him, but more out of fear of the reaction of his companions than out of fear for himself. Though he sometimes forgot, he knew that he had changed since those days. But that remained his only fear. The dark creatures that had pursued them in the past, the threat that had grown in the East as they moved towards an uncertain goal, all that seemed to have vanished. There was nothing left but the road, the pleasure of good company and of discovering unknown landscapes and different people.

They were approaching Rohan, and Merry was telling a little more about his ride with the horsemen, when a lone figure appeared on the horizon. He was not the first horseman the company had met on their way, but still they slowed down. Intrigued, Frodo squinted and tried to observe in the distance what about this figure had made his companions react so. He looked at them and understood, as a smile was slowly appearing on their faces, that this was a friendly figure. With a small click of his tongue Sam set the wagon moving at a good speed, and Merry and Pippin sped up their mounts. Soon, Frodo was able to make out more clearly the great white horse on whose back sat a man with long white hair and a white beard.

'Gandalf! ...' he exclaimed, rising on his seat.

Sam had to hold him back with one hand to prevent him from falling off the wagon. The horseman started galloping towards them, and a few moments later Frodo was face to face with the familiar figure of the wizard.

'Frodo Baggins,' said Gandalf in a low voice... 'You are more than late, my dear Hobbit.'

'Oh, Gandalf!'

The wizard dismounted and approached the wagon to embrace Frodo. Frodo hugged him with all his strength, tears of joy streaming down his cheeks and onto his old friend's immaculate cloak. Gandalf's own eyes were teary.

'Old rascal!' cried Pippin as he brought his pony near the wizard. 'You could at least pretend to be surprised!'

'But how do you know Frodo's back?' Merry asked.

'Rumours of four Hobbits on their way to Minas Tirith are spreading quickly among travellers these days,' Gandalf replied amused. 'And your letter to Bilbo has made quite the stir in Rivendell. I fear it spoiled the surprise for your arrival into the White City.'

'We are very glad to see you, Mr. Gandalf,' said Sam. 'I suppose you'll be making the rest of the journey with us?'

'I wouldn't miss it for the world,' he said, giving Frodo a brilliant look.