The company

'We'll soon get to the part in the story where I find you at last,' said Frodo with a sad smile. 'But it's getting quite late, and you must be starving!'

'Let's have dinner,' said Fatty, 'and if you feel up to it, you can tell us the end of your journey afterwards, while we wait for supper.'

'If you don't mind, I will. I'm quite eager to get rid of this tale. But first, a good meal won't hurt me. I'm starving!'

'Those are wise words, Frodo,' said Merry. 'Well, let's eat, then!'

Sam insisted on serving, he had prepared a mutton stew and gave generous portions of it to everyone, accompanied by potatoes and a nice slice of bread. He carefully chose the best pieces for Frodo and no one teased him about it.

After dinner, they gathered once again in the living room, to digest their stew and hear the rest of the story. The end was near, and everyone was curious to know how Frodo had escaped from the troop of rogues who had held him prisoner. Sam, sitting beside Frodo, never let go of his hand.

'There was only one way out of that cage. I had to die. Oh, of course, I wasn't really planning on dying. You see, I had heard news from the Shire, and if at first I shivered to hear there had been fighting, I soon realised that peace had been restored. I did not know that you, my friends, were responsible for it, but my heart felt that you had something to do with the restored order. That gave me hope. My country was safe, maybe I could go back there, even if I had to hide in the woods for the rest of my life. But to do that, I had to die.
The village where we stopped at before Bree was tiny, but I think people from surrounding hamlets had gathered there that night. When my turn to go up the stage came, I let them insult me, spit on me, and throw stones and dung at me — it had become a habit, unfortunately. I remember feeling the impact of every stone against my skin. The jesters always made sure I didn't get hit by too big a rock — keeping me alive was in their best interest. So, the stone that hit my head then couldn't have killed me. But I was weak, sickly, and collapsing didn't seem, then, an exaggerated act of comedy. I even feigned convulsions, and that put an end to the show. The jesters took me to their camp and gave me a good shake, but I held firm and remained unconscious to their eyes. They put me back in the cage where I fell asleep just where they left me. The next day, one of them came to check on me, and as I had not moved, he announced to the others that it was the end. Then, just as they were breaking camp, they dropped me off on the side of the road and gave me something to drink. At first I thought it was to wake me up, but the truth was much crueler than that. If I was dead, I had to be dead for good. It was some kind of poison. As I pretended to be inert, most of the liquid ran down my chin and neck, and I closed my throat with my tongue so that I did not swallow much of it in the end.
When they were finally gone, I made myself vomit forcefully. Yet I felt a kind of uneasiness creeping in on me little by little. I looked around and found athelas. I tore out whole handfuls of it and chewed on it. I fell asleep again after that and thought the end had come. But when I woke up I realised that the plant had probably saved my life. I had a fever, my stomach was burning, but I was alive.
I followed the road, hiding on the roadside, towards Bree. After a few days, I cut through the fields to the west until I reached the Brandywine. I followed it, and risked venturing through the Old Forest to avoid being seen. When, at last, I reached the junction between The Water and the Brandywine, I was exhausted, still feverish, but so light! And then, after more efforts, I was approaching Bywater when my strength failed me. That's where I was found. And I believe you know the rest.'

An overwhelming silence followed his last words. The four Hobbits who had listened to the story looked at Frodo without daring to speak, amazed by the immensity of what their companion had endured during those three years when everyone thought he was dead. It was Pippin who broke the silence first; choking a sob, he crossed the living room in two strides to go and hug Frodo.