Chapter 4

The softball field was deserted when I arrived after school. I had been the first one in the locker room to change and pick up my bag. I was in and out before anyone else arrived, which was my goal. I didn't want to socialize with the new softball girls until I absolutely had to. I wasn't here to make friends.

I was here to kick ass.

I shouldered my bag again, determined to make a good impression on these coaches, and the other girls. I had played on varsity both years at my old school. I figured that with that reputation, my ability to play any position except pitcher, and the fact that I was now a junior, it would be a piece of cake for me to be put on varsity.

I walked down to the home dugout, looking out at the field. For a preppy school, it was in pretty shitty condition. The bullpens for the pitchers were overgrown with weeds, and the L-screens had obviously been left out over the previous winter and spring. The field itself was made of a reddish clay that looked as if it had zero drainage, meaning it would turn into a mud pit during rainy games and a dust bowl after a couple hot, dry days. The outfield fence swayed in the light wind, and the cover that was supposed to cushion outfielders from running into the bare chain link only protected from left field into center. The scoreboard out in right field looked as if it hadn't been used in years. When I looked closer, I saw birds' nests in the visitor score screen.

As I stood, taking all this in, other girls had pulled into the parking lot, talking and laughing to one another as they walked down to the dugout. A few of them eyed me curiously, but I didn't feel the need to introduce myself. I sat down on the bench and pulled out my cleats and lucky glove. It was a brown Rawlings that Anna got me for my birthday three years ago. It had seen me through summer tournaments and two high school seasons, yet it was still in great condition for being that old. I set it down carefully and began the difficult process of pulling on my tight black Nike cleats. I had just finished tying my left one when I heard, "What's up, Soph?"

I looked up in surprise as I heard my name, then I recognized Alyssa. She hung her bag on the fence in front of the bench, pulled out her glove and came over to sit by me. I noticed she already had on her cleats.

"I didn't know you played softball," she said.

"I could've told you the same thing," I replied, smirking.

She let go a soft laugh and blushed before continuing, "What positions do you play?"

"All of them. Except I don't pitch."

She looked impressed. "Really?"

I nodded. "My dad was big on flexibility when I was younger, so he had me play all over when he coached and I just kinda learned it all."

"Well, lucky for you we need some utility players."

"Lucky me."

I looked back out at the field, but I could still feel her staring at me a little longer than necessary. I could tell by now that she was into me, and the fact that she played softball confirmed my earlier assumption, but before I could act on it another girl, who looked to be running practice, said, "Everyone grab a throwing partner and go warm up!"

Alyssa immediately turned to me. "Throw with me?"

"Sure," I said.

She smiled at me and grabbed a ball before we walked out to right field. I took my place on the line and she stopped about five feet away from me before releasing the ball. It popped satisfyingly in my glove and I felt the familiar rush of excitement that came with softball. It felt so good to be back on a field, even an unfamiliar one. In fact, a new field was probably better. It didn't hold as many memories--