A girls charm

8.76 minutes

"Do it again." Egris monotoned.

The small group of tier 3 trainers panted as they crossed the finish line. It was the 5th time they had completed the 5000 metre run that day and there was still no improvement. At this rate, there was little chance of them upgrading. 

"No." One brave soul piped up.

Egris' eyes searched the sweaty faces for the speaker. Ched, a lean, buzz cut warrior looked directly into his eyes. 

So that was the culprit.

"What did you say, boy?" Egris questioned, his voice deepening a notch.

"I said no. We're not running again." 

"And I say we are. If you want to reach tier 2, you push yourself again and again. There is no space for slackers."

"I am not a slacker!" Ched fumed.

"Well, why are you not running?" Egris demanded.

Having someone go against his authority as a trainer was dangerous territory. It was Xyons like Ched who brought the name of warriors down - they had no interest in succeeding. You could not stop for your mind if your body could carry on.

That would make you weak. 

Weakness wasn't allowed in that game.

"Because I am sick and tired of the same monotonous activity every day. Why can we not change!?"

"You have not succeeded in this! If you ever want to become a warrior you master everything you have been given and told. And at this rate, none of you have. So, I will say it again, another lap." Egris ordered.

"I will not stand for this!" Ched caterwauled like a child throwing a tantrum.

"Well, then I think it's time you leave. Don't you agree?" He returned back to his deadpanned expression and watched as Cheds face morphed into disgust. 

"How is that fair?" he spat, taking a step closer.

"If you do not follow my commands but instead actively go against them, then I don't want you here. I think that's fair."

"Your commands are stupid!" he snapped and surged forward.

Egris didn't back down. 

In his time as a trainer, he had met many like Ched who believed they were somehow better than the rest. But they weren't. If you weren't willing to push harder than you've ever done before - don't be here at all.

That's what Egris was told and that's what he would tell everyone else.

"Watch your mouth, Ched. Watch it."

"Why do you care? You-"

"Egris?" a sweet, sophisticated voice flitted into the room.

Everyone turned their heads to watch Lola stand awkwardly by the door to the gym.

"Oh look, it's your pet." Ched added amusingly.

That was the last straw. Ched could insult, degrade and spit on Egris all he wanted but he would have to hold his tongue when Lola was involved. 

With a powerful punch to his jaw, Ched crumpled to the floor. The hurried patter of feet on the ground rang through Egris' ears as Lola jogged over to the scene. She placed a warm hand on his forearm and looked with a gaping mouth at Ched.

He struggled but managed to stand up, furious vengeance clouding his face.

"You'll fucking regret that." He seethed, wiping blood from his mouth.

"Now, now! What's going on here?" Lola chided with a hand on her hip, "There's no need for this." 

A motherly role seemed to transform her persona and all the trainees looked at her wearily. Images, memories and recollections of their own parents filtered their minds.

"Your mate won't take no as an answer."

"I'm sure his order was reasonable. Wasn't it?" She looked back at Egris with furrowed eyebrows and he nodded.

"I asked them to do another lap. Ched here thinks that was unreasonable. I told him to leave, long story short, I punched him in the jaw."

"This is all so childish." She sighed and looked between each trainee, "Can't you all do one more lap and that'll be the end of it?" 

"One?" Ched chuckled, "We're already done after this morning. Why don't you try a 5000-meter run under 7 minutes?"

"I thought you guys are warriors? That should be alright to do. I don't think there should be a fight over it, do you?"

A low, mumbling chorus of yesses rose from the rest of the trainees who were already up and gathering at the start line. Ched, however, was still unsure.

"Are you going to join them?" Egris asked, tilting his head.

"Why should I, hm?" 

"I know you can do it. Hit the target and I'll be easy on you tomorrow."

"Deal?"

"That's a deal." Egris confirmed and lowered his head.

"See that was easy. No need fo a fuss." Lola chimed and a huge grin spread her face.

Never in her life had she been so pleased to act like a mother. After this programme, she would have to get used to the idea. 

"Do you want to say go?" Egris asked playfully while playing with the strands of Lola's hair.

"Sure. when?" She giggled.

"Now."

"Okay," Lola cleared her throat and took a step closer, " On your marks, ready, steady go!"

The Xyons left the mark like bolts of lightning, just a blur of blue as they tore up the track and kicked up asphalt in their wake. They showed no signs of slowing down as they cleared one full lap. If anything, they were pushing harder.

"You've trained them well." She mused and snuggled close to her mate.

"I have a lot of faith in them, truly. They'll make strong warriors if they try."

"Awww-"

Lola silenced her cooing by moulding her lips once again with Egris. The memories of their first night together came back strong - the kissing, holding and passionate embraces. His hands snaked around her waist and they lost themselves for a moment until a distinctive whistle could be heard.

She whipped her head around and saw two or so Xyons laughing and winking. Egris chuckled lowly and held her close, not caring what others could think.

His head dipped and those full lips brushed Lola's ears. 

"Why don't we finish this tonight?" he purred sultrily.

"I wouldn't mind." She murmured and planted a long kiss on his freshly shaven cheek.

How was that? I had a sudden urge to write today hence why this chapter is here. Hope you enjoyed!