Chapter 2

I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THESE MERLIN CHARACTERS - ONLY ALARA

Merlin was getting the horses ready when Gwen rushed over to him.

"Merlin!" Merlin turned around, smiling when he saw his fellow servant coming over to him.

"Gwen. Hello! Do you need anything?" He asked

"Not really, I was just delivering this letter to you as a favour for Gauis," Gwen said, moving a stray piece of her long hair out of her eyes. "He says it's from your mother."

Merlin perked up at the name. It had been a bit long since her last letter, and Merlin was starting to worry. "Thank you, Gwen."

"It's not a problem, really." Gwen paused before seeming to notice he was packing the horses. "Is Arthur going on another hunting trip?" She asked.

"Yes. He decided it was a good punishment for me being 'too happy'." Merlin told her.

"I'm sorry Merlin, he is under a lot of stress recently, being King and all." She said sweetly. "I'm sure it's not personal."

"Oh, It most definitely is." Said another voice, and the two friends turned to see Arthur striding up to them, a smirk on his face. "Can't have my servant too happy, can I?" He said jokingly.

"Arthur!" Reprimanded Gwen. "Be nice to Merlin!"

"Ya!" Merlin chimed in "I have to deal with you after all." He said. Gwen smacked his arm lightly, then turned to Arthur.

"Have fun, and be safe, alright?" Gwen told Arthur. "We still need you here."

"Well, I'm sure you and the knights can manage while we are gone." Arthur replied "We will be back in a week's time. We are thinking of trying a new spot a bit further out. Word is there are lots of good animals there."

"Then I will see you then. Good luck." She said, kissing him on the cheek before heading back inside.

Not a minute later, Gwaine, Percival, and the rest of the knights approached the horses, and they were off, none of them noticing how Merlin secretly tucked the note from his mother away.