Chapter 14

-------------------> "LUCIUS," LYRA GREETED as she walked towards him, each step pronounced with the grace of an experienced ballerina

It was sometime after lunch, and the Greens of the Slytherin Court were surrounding their King at one of the corridors near the Great Hall, whispering in hushed tones.

At the sight of their Queen coming closer, they all inclined their heads and bent it slightly down, as a show of respect. Lyra nodded in return. Sensing that she wanted to speak to the King alone, the Greens bid the two prefects farewell and left, but not before Theodore Nott gave his best friend a smirk.

"Lyra." Lucius greeted back, soon after they left. "What's new?"

"I thought you might like to see the petition to get a new History teacher." Lyra smiled as she handed him a very long parchment sheet that already looked to contain more than a hundred ascents scribbled on it. "I've covered the signatures of everybody in Slytherin. You are the only one left."

"Thank you." Lucius said. "I'll sign it and give it to one of the Ravenclaws to spread it around. By dinner tonight, I'm confident that we can fill it up completely with signatures and then I'll send it to my father tomorrow morning."

"Alright." Lyra replied. "On another note, I spoke to Dennis earlier and he-"

She abruptly broke off in the middle of her sentence, and smiled amusedly while looking behind his shoulders.

Lucius frowned his eyebrows. "Lyra?" He asked questioningly.

A merriment smile grew on her face as her eyes found his again. "Our conversation is about to be interrupted." She stated. "I might not take Divination classes nor might I be a seer, but I prophesies great entertainment in the near future. For me, at least."

He continued to frown his eyebrows. Just as he was about to open his mouth to inquire about her statement, the source of her apparent entertainment nervously walked towards them.

The -clearly first year- Gryffindor girl glared heavily at an utterly amused Lyra Black before fixing her attention on him and blushing. He raised an eyebrow at the girl's actions.

The girl boldly spoke, even though her cheeks resembled a tomato. "Malfoy, you are the cutest boy I have ever seen." She confessed sincerely before hurrying back to her giggling friends, running in a very unladylike manner -that gave away her blood status as either a filthy mud blood or a muggle-raised half-blood, the latter being just a micrometer much better than the former- and squealing and talking to them excitedly as soon as she reached them, glancing at him -not so subtly- every few seconds.

Lucius Malfoy was frozen at her statement.

Lyra Black laughed. "The mud blood isn't wrong, you know." She said, as her laugher decreased to giggles. Lyra's grey eyes pursued him from the top of his head to his polished, shining shoes with apprehension. "You are very cute, Heir Malfoy." She stated in the most serious voice he had ever heard her use and with a straight face. Her eyes that constantly sparkled in amusement, however, ruined the effect.

Lucius scowled. "I most certainly am not cute." He spat the last word like a swear.

He really wasn't. He was the Heir to the Most Ancient and Noble House of Malfoy and not to even mention, the current King of Slytherin. He was handsome, attractive, appealing, fanciable, desirable and more. However, he certainly wasn't cute.

How dare that mud-blood attempt to ruin his reputation? He was a member of the Sacred 28! To do such a thing was not only unthinkable, but also unforgivable. To make it worse, that thing did such an act in front of Lyra Black of all people, who was perhaps his only equal in everything. (His pride wouldn't let him admit the fact that she was perhaps a little better than himself).

Lyra giggled again. "I'm going to give you the benefit of doubt." She smiled as she told him her oft-repeated statement, making him scowl deeper. She cast a quick tempus. "I have class in twelve minutes and I have to meet Bella before that. So I'll talk to you later, then?"

Lucius continued scowling, stubbornly refusing to talk to her.

"Alright then." Lyra said, her voice monotonous. "Do continue being callous. It surely sets a wonderful example for the younger years. Don't mind me, I'm just going to make a quick stop to chat with Miss Sewlyn now. I'm sure she'll be delighted to know that she has a few more members to admit into her club. I'm sure she'll be even more delighted to hear the title you've been bestowed with by them." She finished speaking and started to walk further into the corridor.

Lucius scowled deeper before walking and easily catching up with her. "I'll see you later as well." He replied, unknowingly returning her smile as she dimpled at his presence.

Lyra nodded and inclined her head a little, a smile still playing on her lips and her dimples deepening as she took a turn at a hallway to meet up with her cousin. 

It was the dimples, Lucius decided as he looked at her converse with her cousin. It had to be the desire to see her dimples that made him surrender to their arguments each and every time.

A fond smirk appeared on his face before he shook his head and left to find one of the Flints.

After all, they had a much awaited Quidditch game to win in a few days.