Chapter 32

-------------------> PUREBLOOD FAMILIES had three ways to increase their vast inheritances and fortune

The first was to steal or trick it out of others. The second was to work in the Ministry at a high post and earn it through fair or unfair means. The third and preferred way was to own, start or invest in a business.

The Greengrass family dealt with growing and supplying potion ingredients, while the Malfoy family invested in numerous businesses, most extremely successful, and were also involved in a bit of trading.

The Black family business, however, was in a word, complicated.

If one asked Lyra Cassiopeia Black to explain what exactly her family did to earn such a huge fortune and hold the title of the richest family in Europe and the fourth richest family in the entire magical community, she would ask you to sit down because this explanation was going to be a long one.

The Black family business, very creatively named, 'Stella' (Latin, meaning stars), was composed of many, many, many subdivisions. Each of these subdivisions was headed by a person who was either born a Black or had married a Black. To give an example, this meant that while Aunt Dorea could be the head of a subdivision even after marriage, James could not qualify for it as he was born a Potter and not a Black. This also allowed those like Druella, who had married into the family, to head a subdivision.

These conditions were put forward to keep the business strictly within the family.

The Black family business did a variety of things, and each member of the family contributed to the business empire in a way that played to their strengths.

Irma Black nee Crabbe grew herbs, plants and trees; both magical and not, with great care and pride. Irma happened to have such a green thumb, that most of the customers usually preferred Herbology produced by Stella, rather than other businesses like those of Greengrass, much to the latter's dismay.

Unfortunately, however, much of Irma's plants were not sold separately but rather given to Dorea Potter nee Black, who ran the potion making division of Stella. The Lady of the House of Potter owned a Mastery in Potions and had published many papers for the subject. Her talent in potions also made her get on like a house on fire with her brother-in-law: fellow potion master and inventor, Fleamont Potter. Lady Potter made many potions (especially now that James went to the Planetarium for tutoring all morning and afternoon, meaning that she was free) and sold them through Stella, where she would receive 30% of the profit that the business made for each potion sold.

Speaking of potion ingredients, Lady Potter needed to buy neither the herbology aspect of ingredients nor the animal aspect, for while Irma supplied the latter, Lord Arcturus Black personally ran multiple animal sanctuaries, which made their business empire quite independent and non-reliant on others.

Then, there was also Pollux Black who ran a law firm as part of the legal division of Stella. He employed those who were fanciful in the art of law such as Genevieve Bulstrode, Gerald Avery and many more.