Dead Beat

Walking through the front door, I'm surrounded by five tall, brawny lads. "Olive!" Louis nearly shouts, dropping down and pulling me into his arms.

"What's going on?" I ask softly, pushing Louis away. 

"We thought you were dead!" The blonde Irish one blurts out. I stare at him shocked. "We thought you were with Nick," Zayn steps closer, trying to swipe tears from his cheeks before anyone noticed. 

"Zayn..." I say softly, my voice catching. 

"Love, I'm sorry..." He sighs. "The bridge was old..." He says cupping my cheeks in his oddly large and warm hands. 

"No," I state, but it comes out in more of a whisper. Everything is adding up now. Today is our sixth month anniversary, I was supposed to meet him at the bridge for a surprise he had for me. "He's..." I pause. "Gone?" I mumble, tears welling in my eyes. 

"I'm sorry Baby Girl," Zayn says kissing my forehead. I push him away, forcefully. "You're lying!" I shriek, turning on my heels and racing out the door. 

"Get her!" I hear and run even faster. My heart screaming, legs throbbing, lungs burning, and yet I keep on running. "Liv, Please!" My twenty-one year old brother yells after me. I feel my legs lift from under my body and watch the ground rush up to meet me. Gravel eats it's way into my hands and knees. My skin wails in pain, crying like my eyes. Two muscular arms make their way around my torso. I don't struggle though. I'm numb. I can't move. My vision is blurred. My head is dancing. My heart sitting in the pit of my stomach. I watch the color of Zayn's black boots come into view, blurry but in my field of vision. Carrying me bridal style, Zayn coos soothing things to me, pressing multiple kisses onto my forehead. "Oh Christ! She bleeding!" I hear a Cheshire accent panic. A breeze of cool air hits my limp body, "Grab the first aid!" the Bradford boy orders, sitting me in his lap. I hiss in pain as I feel something wet being pressed against my wounds, then a band-aid and a simple peck, to somehow make the pain magically go away. It didn't. I shiver and curl up in my brother's lap, nuzzling my head into his chest, inhaling the scent of cologne and after-shave. "Pumpkin, I know it's hard and right now I know it feels like the end of the world but you will get through this, I have hope in you. I can promise you that everything will be okay sweetheart, I love you so much, no matter what," Zayn whispers in my ear, stroking my hair. I sit silently and take everything in, letting my thoughts and Zayn's Bradford accent lull me to a peaceful slumber.