10 - Engaging The Thompsons

~  Tuesday, Jan 12, 1813  ~

Having endured awkward intimate encounters, I had become somewhat desensitized to the hazards of anxiety. The sweaty palms, silent stares, and unintended twitches. When I proposed to the admiral that he attend me in his home, I was thinking of the poor, injured soldiers lying in their sick beds. Surely, a prominent military officer would have influence in these matters. Or, at least, an educated opinion about how I might best serve these men.

Damn, that Captain Thompson. Why did he have to plant those seeds of doubt in my head. Even after we had agreed on plausible responses to enquiries the admiral might make about my family and interests, the captain left my home in the same agitated mood he'd arrived in, leaving my mind in a state of torture. His behaviour had become more suspect and sarcastic, of late. Although, I reminded myself that those traits may have existed long before we became acquainted.

To give my mind something to do, I prepared my largest reticule, stuffing in the general's battle journal to provide me with talking points. I also chose a few ribbons that Alice might like to wear to the upcoming ball being thrown by Lord Kingsley's family. I fully expected most of our conversations to revolve around that affair, but I couldn't quite bring myself to feel excitement for her.

Despite my wish that I might somehow be delayed, my carriage arrived promptly, and the driver deftly navigated the busy streets, delivering me to the home of the Thompson's exactly when it should have. I was cordially greeted at the door by Carter, who complimented my coat as he removed it, and the inviting scents of savory herbs filled the hall as he escorted me to the front parlor to await my hosts. If I was lucky, Alice would arrive first and inform me that the captain had been unavoidably drawn away.

I tensed at the sound of footsteps in the hall and held my breath as the curtain moved aside. While my initial response at seeing the captain's face was to clench my gloved fingers, I was momentarily struck by his appearance. He had dressed in dark breeches tucked into boots and a double-breasted waistcoat. His hair was neatly styled and parted in the middle, with the ends brushing the top of his high collar. I had not seen him take such care since the evening of my gala when he had arrived in his naval uniform.

"It's lovely to see you, Mistress Hayes," he said genially. "I hope your carriage ride was satisfactory."

It took no time at all to realize what the captain was up to. He was putting on affairs for the benefit of his father. I considered this a good omen that a cordial captain would be attending me during my visit, and I was tempted to take advantage of my circumstance.

"The ride was as it should be, although I would have enjoyed it more if you had accompanied me." I followed this with a demure smile as I stood from the wingback and offered a curtsy. This prompted a smirk from him, accompanied by a glimmer that brightened the grey in his eyes to a cool turquoise.

"I would hate for you to tire of me too soon."

"Oh, Captain. With your wit and clever narratives, I would like nothing more than to become lost at sea with you."