27 - Trespassing In Family Affairs

~  Friday Feb 12, 1813  ~

When the knock came at my bedroom door, I was thinking about Captain Thompson. I thought, perhaps, it was him causing me to question my methods for conducting my life. Would I have enjoyed myself more last evening, in the company of two handsome noblemen, if Jules had not been on my mind? There were times when I indulged in the idea of bedding two men at once. Yet, when the occasion had finally presented itself, I felt more guilt than satisfaction.

Currently, the more pressing issue was the person standing on the other side of the door. Had the earl even read the section on allowing a reasonable recovery period between intimate encounters?

"Mistress Hayes? May I have a word?"

Ah. The duke. I knew he would not pester me to perform my duties so soon after such an eventful evening. He often needed a period of rejuvenation himself.

"Just a moment."

I left the bed and slipped into my dressing gown, greeting my old friend with a cordial smile. Although his hair looked as if he had slept in the stable, he wore a fresh jacket and the scent of citrus and pepper. It was something new, and I couldn't help thinking he had purchased the fragrance during his holiday in India.

"Come in, your grace. I must say, you look much better than I expected."

"For what it's worth, I don't feel as good as I look." He shoved his fingers through his hair as he glanced around for a chair. Choosing one of the wingbacks near the curtained window, he gestured for me to sit in the other. "I need to have a word. If you will indulge me." My gate felt slightly unsteady as I followed his directive, and a smile grew on his face as he watched me amble toward him. "Feeling a bit tender this morning, are we? I didn't realize I'd been so vigorous."

"I've been here a day longer than you have. Take that how you will." I lowered into my seat, and that's when the effects of those vigorous activities let their presence be known. "Oof."

The duke merely shook his head. "I came here to talk about the earl. I'm not sure you realize that William and I have been friends since we were boys, given that our families are aligned by marriage."

"You've spoken of your mutual interests."

"Yes. Well, as a youth, he was rambunctious and unfettered, much like his own son, Albert. When he began courting Mary, she tamed him, which was needed, given that his stately duties were increasing. Still, William never lost his spirit. Although, as an earl, he chooses to loosen the reins only in the company of people he trusts. Like me."

"I have seen the twinkle in his eyes. Now, I know where it comes from."

"You're seeing that twinkle because he fancies you. In fact, it surprised me to see him in such an exuberant mood when I arrived. I expect you've heard the sad tale of the countess's brother taking his life?"