17

Ciel lies underneath me, fits his hands around my muscles and kisses them as I do push-ups. Each soft smooch on my bicep motivates me to push back up again.

Now that Ciel is a happy, healthy boy, I gently propose he start doing some exercise of his own. Not that he wouldn't look cute shaped like a Cadbury egg...

But it doesn't go over well.

"You want me to die?!" Ciel shrieks.

"No, my darling," I rush to assure him, biting back an amused chuckle. "You won't die. I just want you to try a little bit of exercise."

"Why?"

"Because it's healthy, and in case you haven't noticed, your health is my top priority. I'm trying to take care of you."

"You hate me," Ciel accuses.

"What, no! I told you, you won't die." I kneel down in front of him. "You don't even have to use my equipment. You can do stretches and cardio..."

"I don't want to."

"Ciel..." I say warningly.

Ciel runs off, to my extreme disappointment. I have to take a few moments to compose myself so I don't chase after him in anger. I don't think I'm asking too much. Just a little cooperation for his own good. Why does looking after him have to feel like pulling teeth?

Maybe I'm just biased, because keeping fit is a matter of life or death in my profession. Even in the academy, if you can't cut it, you get tossed.

I set to work making dinner, and then I put that out for Ciel and leave the house. Yesterday I bought a bunch of backpacks, so today I deliver them to the homeless people I know occupy certain benches around Central Park.

It's dusk by the time I'm driving home. My mom calls so I take the call over Bluetooth speaker.

"How's the boy," she queries.

"He's very bad," I confess wearily. "Doesn't listen to a thing I tell him."

She laughs heartily.

"Other than that?"

"Happy, healthy and cute as a button," I smile wistfully.

"You're still off tomorrow, right?"

"Yup."

"Bring him over tomorrow. Both of you, come over for dinner. I need to continue my cooking lessons with him. And you've gotta fix my computer again."

"Okay. We've got a follow-up appointment at the doctor's, and then volunteering at the shelter, but we'll swing by after that."

"Okay. I love you, son."

When I get home, I do some cleaning and tinker around in my garage for a bit before heading upstairs to bed.

I haven't seen Ciel since he stormed off.

He's not in bed, which makes sense because he's sulking right now. Where could he be hiding?