Chapter Three ❤ "An Old Friend"

Chapter Three

                                                    "An Old Friend"

 “Zayed”

I heard the twins walk over to their grandmother and mother. My sister ordered her daughters to get back to their rooms and change.

“Go change, both of you.” She shooed the girls away with that sentence. I opened my eyes and looked at her and watched as they disappeared.

Directing my words to my mother, “Omaya, (Mother) her girls are just like her.” I said, pointing to my sister, Laylah. “Both are mouthy and envious.” I noticed her narrowing her eyes but pretended to ignore her.

“Excuse me?” She demanded for some attention. I enjoyed her reaction. I rarely saw her smile ever since she had had a divorce. It was when the girls were five when she had split up with her husband.

“Like mother, like daughter.” My mother took my side. This made her even angrier.

“Mouthy and envious?? I was nothing like that!” She spat making me smile. I thought she would defend her daughters.

I replied with a raise of my eyebrow. “Really?” I challenged.

“Don’t make me reveal your childhood stories.” She threatened, rolling her eyes. She was the eldest in our house and the first to get married. She had been really young back then, about eighteen years old I guess and I was twelve. And just about five years of having a troubled relationship with her husband they decided to get a divorce. It had been his fault and I remembered the reckless way I had behaved back then. I had threatened her husband that I will make him regret what he had done to her. I wasn’t to be blamed; I was eighteen at the time. Always young and reckless.

My thoughts were interrupted as my phone buzzed, reaching for it in my pocket I stood up and walked out of the room. I read a very familiar name on the screen.

‘Rashid’ my cousin and a very close friend, was calling me. I headed for the stairs and answered my phone.

“Salaam Alaikum,” I heard him greet.

“Alaikum as Salaam Rashid, how have you been?”

“Alhamdulillah I am fine. It took you an hour to answer the phone!” he stated.

“Yeah, I was with the family. Just came back from work and I’m now heading to my room to get some rest.” I ascended the stairs slowly as I spoke.

“Okay, so are you coming to the yacht today?” he asked. I considered that. “Today?” I asked.

“Yeah, there are a couple of people that I’d like you to meet. Ever since you came back you’ve been busy with work.” I listened without commenting. “Speaking of work, how was it?” He asked as I got to my room and opened the door.

I shifted the phone from my right ear to the other and walked over to the dressing table. “It was better than what I’d expected it to be.” I said, taking out my walet and my other phone from my pocket and placing them on the dressing table.

“You say it like it’s a bad thing.” Rashid encountered.

“It isn’t but there are lots of changes that need to be made.” I took out a couple loose trousers from the cupboard and looked for a shirt, “And who are those people that you’d like me to meet?” I asked unable to think of who those people could be.